Chainsaws

Right on! You won’t be disappointed.
Hey what version i software are they on now? I know the m-tronic stuff is on 3.0 now.
Well color me surprised. I had absolutely no idea that there were computers in chainsaws now.

What all do they control?

Well any of the stihl M-tronic saws still have a carb of sorts but it had electronic metering valves instead of traditional jets. The “ECM” if you will controls the pulse of the valve sorta like throttle body injection.
The 500i has no carb. There is a fuel injector in the crank case that does all the fuel management. It all works off the flywheel. It has extra positions for the capacitor for the ecm. They both sense air filter restriction and elevation so they always run optimally. Just let the 500i idle a few minutes and it will calibrate wherever you happen to be. The M-tronic has a manual calibration you can do occasionally to reset it so to speak.

The 500 has no choke or anything either. You just prime the injector and pull. Pretty cool stuff. The demo and concrete saws have had it for a while they just finally made the move to saws.
Husky has basically the same thing as M-tronic they just call it auto tune.

20231213_164037.jpg

After talking with my friend about his saw for his mill he uses a 661 with 54" bar. He redid his with some parts from a guy that does builds on you tube. Haven't looked that up yet. I think I'm going to look for a 661 after the first of the year. run it on my mill with a 36" bar.

Since the chainsaw gurus seem to be on this thread, what are the best battery powered saws for light work and pruning? FYI I do landscape and lawn work so it's not just for occasional use. I ran an Echo a while back and I really liked it and its price and it was a very conventional styled saw. Now I'm seeing many brands Milwaukee, STIHL, etc.

Since the chainsaw gurus seem to be on this thread, what are the best battery powered saws for light work and pruning? FYI I do landscape and lawn work so it's not just for occasional use. I ran an Echo a while back and I really liked it and its price and it was a very conventional styled saw. Now I'm seeing many brands Milwaukee, STIHL, etc.
I tried a bunch of em a while back. I previously owned the Milwaukee, then switched over to the Ego for a while, then back to the Milwaukee. Both are really good, but I just liked the Milwaukee a little better for what I do (and I still had Milwaukee everything else). @Jody Treadway bought the Ego saw from me. The internet raved about the Echo battery chainsaw, but I personally found the trigger delay dang near dangerous. I tried to get used to it, and finally just took it back to the store.

I've also read about a lot of people loving the Milwaukee Hatchet pruning saw, which might be right up your alley if you're not doing bigger stuff.

I bought the Greenworks 80v (saw only) since my wife had already bought a trimmer/blower combo pack and had a battery and charger. It is OK, but it is definitely no Stihl. I've never used a Stihl electric saw though. I am just comparing it to my Stihl gas saws. I like having an electric chainsaw though because you can make a cut, set it down, drag limbs otta the way, make another cut repeat etc without having to start it up and turn it off over and over. I would like to try a Stihl electric to see if it is better, which it probably is.

I would like to try a Stihl electric to see if it is better, which it sure as shit outta be because it is like 5 times as expensive...
FIFY

A neighboring dept has a couple stihl battery saws. They're the bees knees for storm work clearing anything 12" or less out of the road. Instant tourqe, safer, and easier than having to constantly shut it off and crank it.

I will say, a lot of depts will not put them in truck compartments. There have been several fires that were traced back to lithium batteries being charged on apparatus.

I tried a bunch of em a while back. I previously owned the Milwaukee, then switched over to the Ego for a while, then back to the Milwaukee. Both are really good, but I just liked the Milwaukee a little better for what I do (and I still had Milwaukee everything else). @Jody Treadway bought the Ego saw from me. The internet raved about the Echo battery chainsaw, but I personally found the trigger delay dang near dangerous. I tried to get used to it, and finally just took it back to the store.

I've also read about a lot of people loving the Milwaukee Hatchet pruning saw, which might be right up your alley if you're not doing bigger stuff.
Does the chain have an oiler?

You're gonna have to explain that one. I have a M18 angle grinder, and it's comically dangerous. I love it, but it's a fucking accident waiting to happen.
Curious as why it's dangerous?

Tell your eight year old to go pick it up and bring it to you.
Your referring to the trigger safety? I like the fact it isn't stupidly cumbersome. Safety to me means not having to be a magician in an awkward position to get it to run. It seems balanced enough to use one handed most anywhere hanging by another hand. It's also not got a nasty drop cord to snag and trip you. I've got grinders with cord that don't even have safety triggers, large and small. Heck one a lot of eight year olds can't even carry.
Safe for someone not familiar with tool operation in general? Probably not. Safe for a eight year old educated on proper handling ? I:d say yes.
Power? Comical. It simply isn't that strong. I've ran an own both the fuel and standard. I got a couple old corded versions bound up will break a wrist or better snatch it out of your grip as long as the path isn't your face....face shield saved me once.

Spinning free naw, I love the auto brake feature on mine. Off trigger that little guy flat stops.

Only unsafe feature I found was eating through batteries. Make me angry or in a hurry and I want to grab that corded bastard that will probably scar me.

You're gonna have to explain that one. I have a M18 angle grinder, and it's comically dangerous. I love it, but it's a fucking accident waiting to happen.

It's not sitting there running, no need to remember the chain brake, no exhaust that can potentially ignite a fire, no having to try and start it from a compromised position if it stalls, cuts down on noise and makes communication much easier. That last one can be critical when it's still actively storming and you're standing in a 4 lane interstate with 3 or 4 saws going.

I bought Linda a Dewalt cordless chainsaw... she wanted one and I only decreed Dewalt since being heavily invested in their batteries.
We've used it quite a bit for smaller work.
Likes: great power for what it is, battery life is surprising (5ah snipping "V'd limbs pre-chipper lasts all day or a few dozen cuts in 8"-10" hardwood), the handguard/brake is INSTANT
Dislikes: the bar oil filler sealing is fiddly (a fawking screw ON cap would've been fine, but they had to make "better"), being 12", the chain is too short to fit our OG Neilsen chain sharpener (= file time), the trigger safety is out of "thumb range" for smaller hands

Your referring to the trigger safety? I like the fact it isn't stupidly cumbersome.
Yeah, pick it up and it turns on. It's easy enough to flip the switch while you're trying to connect the battery.

All the saws and grinders are still loud enough that you've got to wear ear protection, so PPE is the same.

Yeah, pick it up and it turns on. It's easy enough to flip the switch while you're trying to connect the battery.

All the saws and grinders are still loud enough that you've got to wear ear protection, so PPE is the same.
We have very different experiences.
My M18 grinder has a trigger safety that requires a reverse detent.
And both my 18 chain saw and my m18 grinder ...the only noise you hear is the chain or disk hitting whatever its on.

Heck earlier this week I was using the M18 pole saw while talking on a cell phone on a bluetooth headset and the other caller didnt even know I was doing anything.

And both my 18 chain saw and my m18 grinder ...the only noise you hear is the chain or disk hitting whatever its on.

Heck earlier this week I was using the M18 pole saw while talking on a cell phone on a bluetooth headset and the other caller didnt even know I was doing anything.
I was gonna say, the battery saws I've used the chain makes the most noise. Can easily have a conversation in your "outside voice".

1702664774564.png

I agree they are fairly loud, though not nearly as loud as a gas saw.

But I also have NEVER used ear protection when running a grinder. Like the thought never even crossed my mind, and now that I've heard of such, I still see no need. Do you grind a lot of sheet metal or something that is really resonant?

But I also have NEVER used ear protection when running a grinder. Like the thought never even crossed my mind, and now that I've heard of such, I still see no need. Do you grind a lot of sheet metal or something that is really resonant?
Have you ever tested your hearing?

huh, what, cunt hear you... yes. And yes on damage. I have a lot of reasons but most from firearms actually. Go figure. But on the note of hearing, most working areas grinders are found in industry the related industry is loud enough in itself to require hearing protection.
One little grinder is a drop in a bucket. The symphony of destruction, construction and what ever is the real damage.

Blaming any battery powered noise maker for hearing loss is like blaming food for fat people.

Yes, but that was probably 10-12 years ago. I can anecdotally say I have very good hearing compared to my wife and my coworkers. I hear all kinds of things they don't.

huh, what, cunt hear you... yes. And yes on damage. I have a lot of reasons but most from firearms actually. Go figure. But on the note of hearing, most working areas grinders are found in industry the related industry is loud enough in itself to require hearing protection.
One little grinder is a drop in a bucket. The symphony of destruction, construction and what ever is the real damage.

Blaming any battery powered noise maker for hearing loss is like blaming food for fat people.
twat did you say?
cunt hear ya.

But again, remove the material noise and the question is - is a battery grinder louder than a plug in electric. The material noise should be the same.

dB ratings are useless without octave band and more importantly distance.
Decibel levels are expressed in a log scale.
So for example - if the measurement was taken at 6" and the tool is used at 24" the corresponding sound level would be:
1702682399095.png

Indoor conversation is frequently sited at 60dB - for reference.

But Milwaukee doesn't tell us the test distance.

Back