Carolina Rock Shop does it again....

stewartgivens

RockEater
Just a big thank you to Andy down at CRS - took out the NV 3550 and swapped in a 42RLE automatic transmission into my Rubicon this week - went extremely smooth, did it all in a day!

These electronic transmissions are not always the simplest either - had to put whole new wiring harness in, new powertrain computer, new transmission computer, etc.

Anyway, thanks to Andy's knowledge and skills - the tranny is in and working great.

Stewart

very sweet rig... me and my buddy Abernethy snuck in there monday and pulled a toyota case out a rear end while ya'll were in the finishing assembly of your tranny swap. Very nice jeep though.

"What happened to the old tranny?" I'm waiting a couple of weeks to ensure the new tranny doesn't blow up, then I'm going to sell it - it's a 2004 NV 3550 with 8,079 miles on it.

Stewart

Wanted to try the automatic on the rocks. Also, wife refused to learn to drive the manual. Now she can at least pull it out of the garage so the twins can get to their toys while I'm out of town.

Cudous to the good work..... by why put a 42 RLE in? I've had three and all gave problems. Not trying to pick a fight, but that Tranny is Marginally reliable a best.

The 42RLE was a direct bolt-in, no adapters, no new driveshafts, etc. I investigated the 700R4 way, and it was over $1,000 for just the two adapters. I've watched the Rubicon Owners Forum for problems on the 42RLE - apart from sloppy shift points, they really haven't had that much trouble out of them.

Stewart

stewartgivens said:
The 42RLE was a direct bolt-in, no adapters, no new driveshafts, etc. I investigated the 700R4 way, and it was over $1,000 for just the two adapters. I've watched the Rubicon Owners Forum for problems on the 42RLE - apart from sloppy shift points, they really haven't had that much trouble out of them.

Stewart

Good luck to you with it. seriuosly! but out of curiosity, why not the AW4?

To answer neptco19's question about what did I do with the old one: I'm going to sell it, probably list it on the boards next week. PM or email me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Stewart

Back