Carlisle tires

MR. GADGET

SO what is all the talk about the Carlisle trailer tires.
On the Dodge site everyone has something bad to say about them.
I have run them for some time and due for replacement on on the boat because it got 5 years on them.
The new trailer has them and it will be a year this summer with no problem.
I see a lot of trailers overloaded and tires low on air that may be causing it.
When in the past I have seen tires loose a tread and other bad things but when you carry 8-12k and loose a tire there is not much left at highway speeds to tell what did it.
Anyone know anything first hand about them.
I know if I wanted, I could kill all mine quick but that would be the driver not the tires.
Jon

I got a price on them from a local tire shop.....went to what I thought was the same shop I talked to on the phone (one was Harry's Discount Tire, the other was Discount Tire Auto Mall) Driveing up to Discount Tire Mall I did not realize there could be two places on the same mile stretch of road with such a similar name. Ok anyways, when I got to the other shop he priced me out a set of Titan's said they were one of the best tires. Told me he used to deal in carlysle but they were crap. They had two many people bringing them back. I don't THINK he was bsing me cus the price sheet on the titans was more although he matched the price I had on the carlylse to keep me in the parking lot.

2 guys I know who are VERY anal about their setups (fer gawds sake, he uses 8 straps to tie down his FJ!) lost 3 tires on the way back from Tellico. The other guy lost 2. All Carlisle's. Now on Goodyears, and no more problems.

The RV guys don't think too highly of them either, since when THEY lose a tire, it can cause thousands in damage to the 5th wheel or TT.

carlisles are good for golf carts. that is all.

I lost one on the way home from paragon last weekend. While I can't be sure why, I kinda atribute it to a leaking valve stem... As I almost lost one on the other side due to dry rotted stem on the way up..

Are there any good places in Raleigh that carry/order Goodyears?

FWIW - My trailer was bought used with newer tires, I should have check that the stems were newer also...

Also, how many miles can one expect to put on a set of trailer tires?

RufusTheRam said:
carlisles are good for golf carts. that is all.

But why any first hand info?

I have had good luck with them so far.
I see and hear alot of stuff but not "this is what happened too me"
Yes if you loose a tire you may have another follow because it was overloaded after the loss of the first.
I watched a guy with a 30' 5er blow two tires turning on a dime over broken pavement and I started to help him but he was mad at the world and blamed the tires for his lack of driving skill. Aso have seen people on the Blue Ridge Parkway run the tires down a curb about 50 ft. They looked like hell and I now they did not last long after that.
I have had BFG and Dunlops and many others go in the past but they still make good tires and would get more of them.
Is it all of them or one size?
I just think some of it is the trash in the road. If not WE ( all people with them or that had problems with them) need to step up and do something about it befor someone gets hurt.
There is a lot of reasons for them to blow and if it is in fact as bad as people make you think the NHTSB would step in.
I called a few weeks back and no reports of problems linked to tires like the Ford Exployer thing.
Jon

yager said:
I lost one on the way home from paragon last weekend. While I can't be sure why, I kinda atribute it to a leaking valve stem... As I almost lost one on the other side due to dry rotted stem on the way up..

Are there any good places in Raleigh that carry/order Goodyears?

FWIW - My trailer was bought used with newer tires, I should have check that the stems were newer also...

Also, how many miles can one expect to put on a set of trailer tires?
I have a set with many miles and run in the heat of the summer now at over 5 years and no problem.(Boat used in saltwater Raleigh to the beach )
I have a friend at just tires in wakeforest that is good to deal with.

At the FSJ trip I was looking at the trailers and found that alot of the trailers carring big waggys had 5 lug tires rated around 1800 lbs.
If you factor the trailer around 2000 and the one jeep guy said his rig was around 5800 lb puts it at 7600 lbs and the max load for the tires were 7200 lbs. He also had a flat on the way home.
It was on small roads.
Does that go down as a bad tire, load, or the road /trash.
Jon

i've had poor luck with them on boat trailers (~3-4k lbs) and a jet ski trailer(~2k lbs.). they've done nice on my parents utility golf cart though :flipoff2:

Explain this then.. proper pressures, 70mph, I-40, blowout. stop, put on spare. drive, another blowout, etc.... 6 lug axles, nothing but a utility trailer and a 5000lb FJ-40.

If ya love 'em, run 'em. historically, they are bad.

Rich said:
Explain this then.. proper pressures, 70mph, I-40, blowout. stop, put on spare. drive, another blowout, etc.... 6 lug axles, nothing but a utility trailer and a 5000lb FJ-40.

If ya love 'em, run 'em. historically, they are bad.

Rich,
Just trying to get info on them.

I have not said they are good or bad.
Just trying to find out if it was just luck that got me this far with them or what.
Rob's trailer should have them did he have any problem or going to get new ones.
More info would be cool on your case.
How old? What did they look like before and after? Temp outside and how many miles traveled? (tire heat). I called them in SC and was told if I have a problem they would replace them for me.(warr)
Parts of I -40 suck, a tank would get a flat and that is from someone that designs them. (Roads)

FYI If I followed everyones elses advice all the time I would not have got a Dodge CTD but finding the facts help alot. Had a CTD :) sence 1996. I see you like them to.
:driver:
Jon

I just know the guys well, and there would be absolutely no improper anything or neglect... Not sure how old they were, I'd guess a couple of years.

Thing is.. why did the other vehicles, all very similar, but riding on mostly Goodyears and other brands, not have one single flat? I'd say their quality consistency is just very lacking.. some get good ones like you, some get bad ones.

Thinking back, I think he said a few of the failures were tread separations. Good year did honor the warranty though, got him 4 new Marathon's...

The conditions and all don't really matter much to me... 3 out of 4 properly inflated and loaded tires on a well maintained trailer should not fail no matter what the temperature is..and why did the non-carlisle guys have 0 problems.. that's the comparison...

As for the tow rig... I bought a Cummins, and the crate it came packaged in. :D

My tires on the Kraftman are Mission trailer tires, rated at 3520 lbs. The tires on the Kaufman are Tiger Paw car tires.

Rob said:
My tires on the Kraftman are Mission trailer tires, rated at 3520 lbs. The tires on the Kaufman are Tiger Paw car tires.
When I looked at Eric's I found different tires to so who knows.
I will find out if they last.
Thinking about getting a few goodyears to keep in the tool box just incase.
J

MR. GADGET said:
Thinking about getting a few goodyears to keep in the tool box just incase.
J

Damn that just be one big tool box :)

whats funny. I happened to blow a tire on my trailor a few weeks back. I hadnt replaced the tire yet as I have several spares. After reading this post I went out to look at the brand of my blown tire and lone and behold its a carlisle.... Just thought that was funny.

My trailer has the Carlisle's mounted...unknown mileage, but it previously hauled a bobcat, skid steer, and more recently, Galen's YJ...

Having read all the bad rap on Carlisle's on various TT/5'er/"hauling" related sites, I'm definitely looking for a spare (rim & tire) for the upcoming jaunt to WindRocks.... however, the tires look great and seem to be of a rating (4x4ply "D"s on 4K# axles) that should give some margin...

Caver Dave said:
My trailer has the Carlisle's mounted...unknown mileage, but it previously hauled a bobcat, skid steer, and more recently, Galen's YJ...

Having read all the bad rap on Carlisle's on various TT/5'er/"hauling" related sites, I'm definitely looking for a spare (rim & tire) for the upcoming jaunt to WindRocks.... however, the tires look great and seem to be of a rating (4x4ply "D"s on 4K# axles) that should give some margin...

You did hit on one important thing, margin. They're not kidding on those tire weight ratings. I had a blow out on a boat trailer tire and bought a 1100 lb replacement for a 1350 lb original because that's what the closest tire place had in stock. It blew after 3 hours on the highway. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and bought a couple of 1500lb rated tires after I got my junk home. Voila, no more tire problems. Margin helps.

BoltOnJohn said:
You did hit on one important thing, margin. <snip> Margin helps.

I wasn't sure how much margin, but they *look* pretty HD... GK told me they never gave issue under his jeep (mines pertty close weight wise) and only complained when a "frickin' HUGE" skidsteer was hauled. Based on thhose comments on what it's pulled, how it's pulled, etc., I'm not overly worried... at least not like the weiny 5k# trailer we borrowed from a friend of my brothers with some bastard size car tires.... lost one (due to freakish trailer brakes locking) and replaced it with a $36 WallyWorld tire... which almost trashed again before we snipped the trailer brakes for the return flight! :flipoff2:

decided to go look...

Carlisle "USA Trail" ST225/75D15 4ply tread/4ply sidewall Load Range "D" 2540#. Not sure if it's just "simple math" (4 tires X 2540# = 11K# total) or some other calculations???? Guessing the trailer is closer to 2K# than 1500 (6" channel tongue/frame, 4k# axles, wood deck & heavy fold down ramps?) + 4K# for the Moss, *should* be half the capacity? What say you mighty men?

Back