Car Camping Eats

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
I spent many years backpacking and travelling minimally in some of the most remote and beautiful places. Remote locations require light packs. Very rewarding, but it has been a day or two since I have been out like that.

It seems these days during the fishing and wheeling trips we try to out eat the year before. We remember to take something we forgot last year or add another type of meat, etc.

So I thought I would post a few examples.

Ahi Tuna, oysters, various forms of wild game (dove, duck, deer, bear to name a few) always on the list.

Dutch ovens, smoker, and propane stove are standard hardware.

Don't have any pics of the baked goods (biscuits and sausage gravy are standard breakfast and a good cobbler for late night dessert)

Examples

Just a few pics

Attachments

• june 09 200.jpg
    june 09 200.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 742
  • june 09 195.jpg
    june 09 195.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 736
  • june 09 203.jpg
    june 09 203.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 738
  • june 09 222.jpg
    june 09 222.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 770
  • My Bachelor Party  on Watch Knob (34).jpg
    My Bachelor Party on Watch Knob (34).jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 715
  • My Bachelor Party  on Watch Knob (25).jpg
    My Bachelor Party on Watch Knob (25).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 712
Show off! ;)

Please, pretty please invite me to hang out in your camp! :bounce:

Lol. Our most recent trip to ure the 9-11th we threw the grill on the trailer and grilled about 16 lbs of chicken, then we had another grill with some steak and other goodies, then a few of the crew cooked Brunswick stew over the fire.

Don't think anyone went hungry, not even the random monster husky that kept hanging around.
(We had a husky, pitbull, and also my pit/husky mix at camp, none of them liked the giant husky, but he was a real good dog)

387479_197179933704232_100002366805237_410020_770508249_n.jpg

more than once we have been camping and wheeling with a group from out of state,

THEY were eating Dinty Moore cold out of the can, Fruity Pebbles and Poptarts ( for dinner )
For breakfast, more Fruity Pebbles & Poptarts,

WE, were cooking nice porterhouse, taters, various veggies over the fire ( for dinner )

for breakfast, sausage, eggs, pancakes, bacon, B&G

after a bit we did feel sorry for them and their lack of planning, we fanned the smoke and aroma over to their side of camp.......

and then actually shared our meal with them,

good times

Our last minute fishing/hiking/mtn biking trips usually include hot pockets thrown on the manifold or any can of whatever that can be shoved up the 4'' tailpipe of the Cummins. Once you throw in a small gas grill or stove the possibilities are endless.

I have hauled this to Uwharrie to cook for the CNC-4x4 club:
100_0589.jpg
but didn't get any pics of it in action there, so here's one from a friends block party:
32083_278535609996_507894996_891625_4200192_n.jpg
But... that's cheating! :rolleyes:
One of the things we did when the family was still intact, was to cook nearly everything ahead of time. I think I saw Greg in another thread point this out too. Freeze or prepare ahead of time and keep in cooler, dump in pot or put frozen vac bag right in boiling water. Easy, easy.
Thing is, there's a trade-off between convenience for the short, weekend, couple days trip and being able to sustain yourself for a longer period. That's probably another thread...

Busch Light and PBR.....mmmmkay, nothing but the best! :lol:

Refreshments tend to vary depending on time of day and demand. Plus that could be leftovers from vagrants who were starving. Cheap beer and clapped out rigs, but eating like kings. Couldnt do it if the food wasnt wholesale prices!

Leslie and I have done a variety of meals while camping/fourwheeling. From simple Hot Dogs and Hamburgers, to Baked potato's(usually boil them for a better time line) Filet's, salad and beans.
One of the best tricks I have seen and have often tried came from 4X4girl Crystal Stephens.(Just a note, 4X4girl is a woman, her husband just too lazy to create his own account)
Crack eggs ahead of time in a zip lock baggy. You can add sausage or what ever if you want, but you do need to precook the meat. I always double bag it for safety sake. Drop into boiling water and let it cook. The cool think about this is You can not burn the eggs, or scorch them. Pull out of water every now and then and squeeze and mix them up a bit.
Clean up is a breeze since you only used a pot of water.
Spread some butter on light bread and fry in a pan, flip when toasted on one side. Makes great toast.
On several VERY cold trips, and cooking outside, it was difficult to get everything done at one time, and not let it get cold. So I have used the small propane grill as a warmer. Light it warm it up and cut it off. So when everything is cooked, everything is still hot or at least warm.
When tent or pop up camping, Leslie and I had two truck boxes we used. Actually one truck box and an old cooler. One for all the cooking stuff and one for non refrigerated foods

Harlan 2011 Spring (cold and pouring rain)

Finished construction of the "Bacon Explosion"
This one went on the smoker during the night and was heated up for breakfast.

Attachments

• Bacon Explosion.jpg
    Bacon Explosion.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 559
ham bone ham bone.jpg
low country boil.jpg
oysters.jpg
Another big eating camping trip is behind me... the ones I took photos of were an entire prosciutto, two bushels of Blue Point oysters, and low country boil with fresh shrimp and clams. Other non documented items were deer ham, Boston Butt, pork loin, chicken wings and thighs, fresh made sausage assortment, fresh eggs and some green beans for color.

^This.

We usually do the eggs-in-a-bag for breakfast and foil packs cooked in the coal pit for dinner. Lunch varies depending on if we eat on the trail or not. I did recently get a dutch oven that I am itching to try out. Anyone have any good dutch oven recipies?

LOL. I don't eat like that at home either! It is nice to have a good friend who owns several restaurants and likes to bring the best food out to the woods.

A dutch oven will soon be your best friend. You can cook almost anything in one. I like to bake a cobbler for a sweet treat after dinner, biscuits for breakfast, and on and on. A good trick is to smoke a boston butt and either freeze it or keep in the fridge. Place it in the dutch oven and keep it on very low heat (edge of the fire and rotate periodically) with a little thinned out sauce around lunch time. Ride all afternoon and when you get back you have hot bbq sammiches at your disposal!

After
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420246712.378093.jpg

With still some in the pot.

I learned that I had it way hot (I was starving) and I could have used celery.. But first run success!

1lb chicken legs
1/2 roll polenta
2 potatoes
2 yellow onions everything sat on.
3 carrots
1/2 garlic clove
48oz chicken broth

How did you put the polenta in? We like it but only way I know to use it is cut it into little discs and fry it in olive oil.

Back