Camping/trails with small children

THE guyrock

Gentle Giant
So I have grownup outdoors/camping/fishing/hunting but my more attractive half hasn't. And we have a soon to be 3 year old who loves being outside and being in dads jeep. I want to get him into camping with me and looking for anything that may help as far as gear for them or special item that may help out.

I've always just taken a pack with a pot a skillet, knife, sleeping bag or canvas wrap, and other standard primitive items. I know the basics of what I need but I've never really camped with a tent so I need to read up/advice on them. I know to start with a simple one night camp in a safe area, thinking Gulches since it's 30 min from home in case the boy or woman can't hack it haha. And I know that area very well and all the trails. Been looking at 6man tents and whatnot but I don't want to spoil them and make it too easy? I want them to understand that camping is a team effort.

I have set the ZJ up to be more accommodating for them on longer trail rides, made safari doors for the front to make her feel safer and put full doors back on the rear, got him a better seat that contains him tighter, and ARB cooler for snacks/drinks, and got a small grill to keep with us to make hotdogs and warm food for them quick. I won't be wheeling like I normally do with them in the rig with me or at all so I don't have to worry about trail repairs so much. Just moderate trail riding/small hill climbs and maybe some mud to let the boy get dirty.

Guess I'm really looking for experienced dad info. on breaking in the family, and what your opinion is. I want to approach this without spending tons of money since we are on a single income, but still have some fun with my young family and make this something my son looks forward to doing.

Sorry for the rant just want to make sure I make this enjoyable for them since my other hobbies are not family oriented. Thanks for any input guys

Sounds to me like you go it covered dude!
You care about the fam more than yourself, awesome.
Take em wheeling and enjoy, this thread just made my day.
:)

What Paul said and here's my $.02 to add.

A comfy camper is a happy camper.

I've been camping with my wife since we were married and my son within a couple months of being born. Make the first camp out as perfect as you can. If it is a bad camping experience for your wife or son it can easily turn them off to it. Check the weather for precipitation and moderate temps. Take extra food/snacks/beverages, have a few extra creature comforts for them, make sure there are bathrooms/showers for them possibly even access to electricity and water at the site the first few times. Don't worry about spoiling them right now just make sure everyone has a enjoyable experience and it will likely become a regular family experience. After a few trips it will be easier to decide where you can ween back on some of the extras.

Have fun and good luck.

The only thing I would add is get the kid a skate boarding helmet. It's light weight & comfy. My son loves his. He is 9 now & rides with me on everything. My wife will camp & hike but she will not off road with us after the one trip she went with me on.

Well we just went and got him a little helmet and he now thinks he's a battering ram. Haha but I got a tent thats well big enough for the 3 of us and scored a enclosed meal tent off CL so if he doesn't want to be in the jeep he can be outside away from bugs and stuff. And a nice pop up two person table/chair thing.

It ought to be fun to see how all this fits in the ZJ. Next investment may be to build a offroad trailer Haha im going to take them in two weeks if anybody else is going to be around gulches.

Sent from my garage

OK my 2cent, both my boys have been with me and my wife on every trail in ure, since the boys were about 6months old. They LOVE it! People can't believe how they fall asleep on the trail. We used to camp on the trail with a small tent, we have since moved to a large "instant up" tent and camping at the camp ground, were there are showers, WAY BETTER! Every one is much more comfortable. The large stand up tent makes a big difference. Hope this helps, good luck!

make it comfortable and they will want to come back. My son has been riding and camping with me since he was 2, now 10. He knows some of the trails better than most wheelers.

Wish my dad had done stuff like this! Now I'm 24 just begging my pops to come hang out in the woods with me.
Sounds to me like you've covered everything, just don't forget toilet paper!! Haha.
Keep us updated, looking forward to hearing how the trip goes.

Got a pic of that meal tent ? I'm in the same boat . I got a two and half year old son I want to start to take wheeling and camping . Keep us updated . He loves playing in my jeep too like he's driving .

Sent from my iPhone while developing new Iron Man armor .

Got a pic of that meal tent ? I'm in the same boat . I got a two and half year old son I want to start to take wheeling and camping . Keep us updated . He loves playing in my jeep too like he's driving .

Sent from my iPhone while developing new Iron Man armor .

It's a regular coleman 10x10, found out I can get it for 5 less than I paid through work but oh well. Going to try to get the jeep loaded tomorrow after work, breaking in the new gears in the 9" today and it's all good so far.

Got some nerf guns and stuff to play with the boy in the woods, and he is getting his first little RC crawler when we get there too for a surprise. Should be loads of fun, I plan on one night but will bring supplies for two in case they want to stay.

Sent from my garage

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364417966495.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364417966495.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 378
YOU my friend, sound like one awesome Dad and make me reconsider not wanting kids! That sounds like an awesome trip!

Missed this thread somehow, but have a little experience so I will add.
First rule, if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Do what you can to make her comfortable.
Camping is camping, kids will get dirty. Don't stress over it. Baby wipes and plenty of extra cloths and shoes(they love mud)
Often while riding, there are times that you will be sitting still. If it's gonna be more than a few mins, if they want out, let them. Cars, monster trucks and so on bring out a lot of imagination and keep them from getting bored.
Make meals as simple as possible. Less time to prepare and to clean up afterward.
Get you a "swish" broom. Mom won't like the grit, leaves, and so on that WILL get in the tent. Keep bags rolled up till near time for bed. The little one will wanna run in and out of the tent.
Make collecting wood, sticks and so on fun, not a chore. help, teach them how to put wood on the fire.
Bring marshmallows. They may eat some, they may not. They are cheap, and they all like that burning projectile on the end of a stick.
Make sure all food is taken care of. A opossum, skunk, or other critter in the camp area will defiantly make it a bad experience for mom.
If you are able to, camp near or beside of a creek. All little ones like to play in a creek.
Start them early with Identifying different stuff. This is a pine cone. This is something you don't want to touch. If it has three leaves, leave it alone! Stuff like that. Keep working with the same things and then go from there. This is an acorn, it's a seed for an Oak tree. This is an oak tree. so on and so on.
Explore with them. Time well spent.

Best of luck!

Back