Camping tips

^ding ding winnAr

possibly a change of clothes and a sleeping bag.

i bring pasta real easy to cook spagetti in a pot, dump can of sauce onto let sit few min. all warm.. Also toss in some chopped and frozen chicken while the pasta is cooking for a quick meal..

Almost anything you'd microwave like a hot pocket or similer i can cook in tin foil in the coals of a fire, take a bit longer but works the same.

I love my cast iron cook ware, if i mess it up or forget to clean it. Its not a big deal worst case i sand blast it and re bake..

yager said:
I love my cast iron cook ware, if i mess it up or forget to clean it. Its not a big deal worst case i sand blast it and re bake..

And I was feeling guilty for bringing back unwashed chilli bowls!

yager said:

I'm with ya bro! I've got 3 chunk of Lodge castiron (8qt. DutchOven, 12" 'grill' pan, 8" griddle)... about as tough as it comes too. I cooked a cobbler this summer (used foil = no cleanup) and left the DO under the table...Got to looking for it on Sat. evening... found out it was used it to cook refried beans in on Friday...and left dirty! :mad: Hit it with the garden hose and it ALL washed right off! My griddle was found in a creek, rusted BAD... sandblasted it, seasoned it, and it's been good to go for the past 3-4 years.

MRE 3 times a day

nothing to do with cooking...but..

If you plan on fishing, and plan on taking your keys with you, string a cork from a wine bottle or something like that onto the keychain (pretty self explanatory!

Tie Glowsticks (or flourescent ribbon for the cheap guys) to your tent lines, that way you wont destroy the tent when you get out at night and cant see!

We use the heck out of our vacuum sealer for camping.

You can individually wrap lunchmeat and cheese and vacuum seal. We'll also pre-devide and seal bacon and sausage for breakfast in the same bags. It takes much less room in the cooler and you don't have to worry about it getting wet.

It also works well for items you don't want to crush, like grapes or other fruit. Seal the bag, but don't use the vacuum part. It creates kind of a pillow that protects the fruit.

Just make sure you've got a good knife or scissors (we keep a good set of scissors in each vehicle's first aid kit). Those bags are a bitch to chew your way into. :D

Stump said:
MRE 3 times a day

And as luck would have it, before christmas there were probibly 100 or more CASES of MRE's on ebay for $50-$75 out of the Bayou :rolleyes: from where the "victims" were netting a profit on government aid :mad:

6BangBronk said:
My fave is the bucket with bottom cut out turned upside down onto a piece of plywood with hole cut out. Mount cushy toilet seat on bottom of bucket. Dig hole and place over. Just like back home but with a view...

We did something similar, did NOT cut out bottom of 5 gal bucket, but made a nice toilet seat that screwed into wood frame that inserts into top of bucket. (Does that make sense, woodframe slides in top of bucket, seat mounted to frame)

Then....a bag of kitty litter to put in the bottom of bucket (if you put in a trash bag first, then kitty litter even easier)....and wahlah...no mess to leave in the woods!

If you need privacy...for $25 I bought a hunting blind that "pops" up...and then folds back into a big circle...place above bucket inside and you have privacy too....nice for active / primitive campsites.

Tuite said:
Bring hotdogs, buns, processed cheese and mustard. Heat to desired temperature, or eat cold. Repeat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I agree, except I might substitue oscar mayer cheese-dogs or red-hots. Red-hots are like sausage in the morning, like hot dogs for lunch, and like smoked sausage for supper. :D

You can cook soup/ravioli etc in the can beside the fire, no pots to clean. Just either poke a small hole in lid, or (if you wish to stire) open and peal back 2/3 way, then push back down (avoid embers in soup). No hole = explosion.
I used to heat up C Rations the same way. And with anything Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, baked beans, etc., you can even eat it cold from the can.

Best camping tip I have......
Stay away from large groups of Zooks in campgrounds.....It's ALWAYS raining on them!

Matt- don't even ask me how I know..(drip...drip):huggy:

Back