camping on the lite side...

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
anybody else here like leaving the house where it is and camping lite?I really hate modern tents and unless it is gonna rain,won't set a tent up at all.Since I do C.W. reenacting,I have learned to get by with less and rather enjoy it.It puts me one with nature.

When I was a younger man, I did about the same. I did usually at least have a rain fly or tarp to ward off the dew. I have hiked and camped and was pretty good about going light. Once camped on top of Table Rock with a tubular piece of plastic and some nylon cord. tied one end closed and the other left about a 5" air hole. I woke to about 8" of snow on top of me. I was dry, warm and the leaves I had collected made a nice mattress.

I camp fairly light, but in a more modern manner. I use a ultralight 4 season backpackers tent that weighs less than 1lb with the poles rain fly and stakes. My pack is a fairly light weight 3 day internal frame climbing pack. I carry a msr jet boil cooking system that weighs in under 1lb. Loaded for a 7 day backpacking trip im right at 25lbs including food and 2 day supply of water.

On a multiday mountain climb with ice axes, crampons, trekking poles, ropes and climbing equipment i am closer to 40lbs and on trips that involve carrying skis i get closer to 55lbs.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

We did the App Trail for a couple weeks every summer when we were kids in scouts. If it wasnt raining we just did the ground cloth and sleeping bag routine. The NC and VA mountians can be quite monsoon like, we spent one whole week hiking and sleeping in the rain. :shaking: We raced another group all day to get to the perm. shelter on the last day. I have never been so tired in my life!

In recent years, We camp in Baja Mex when prerunning the race. If we are on the beach on the leeward side of the pennisula, it is bags on the beach and very nice. The windy Pacific side will make you throw up a tent. It will blow so hard the tent will flex the fiberglass poles and the roof will be inches above your nose when you are laying down. Coyotes roam between the tents looking for scraps. If you get up to take a leak, it looks like a cartoon with all of them hauling butt at the same time.

Many times I have just simply sleped out on the ground, done it before in the rain.I just layed in my bag under the jeep parked up hill, stayed good and dry.

In nice weather I have no issue just wadding up a jacket and crashing on the ground. In the cars fine too if its gonna be crappy weather lol.

Ive been known to set up a tent and sleep in my chair anyway lol

It depends on the weather. Summertime, I like my hammock and poncho liner stretched over some 550 cord. Wintertime, its a 4 season tent and a 15 degree bag. I use an MSR pocket rocket stove and only carry a day's worth of water since I have my filtration system. The climbing gear easily outweighs my pack.

Lumber river between Boardman and Fair Bluff :) Yea mines the crow and my buddies is the creek boat (the crow paddles much better). I've got a couple canoes as well and that's what I usually use. Anytime you're in the area and want to hit the water for a weekend let me know! I'm always up for a paddle. How's Juniper creek?? Been thinking of paddling it and thought you might know it with it being close to your old homestead.

never been on it.I've been to Indogo Flats one time years ago and that looks like where it goes into the Waccamaw.We allways fished around New Briton or Old Dock when there was water in the river.My grandaddy had a hole he would walk to during the summer and drop small crawdads down on the bottom.He'd catch some of the biggest bluegills but he kept that spot to himself.

I used to be pretty light. Now since my son is in the scouts I'm digging up my stuff again.

I used to have a bivy sack and slept in that. If it was going to ran I threw a piece of plastic up. I used ot be able to do a week with a 35lb pack. Don't know if I could do that now. I at least want a pad.

We've been looking at some ultra light tents a well.

I! I can pack a small amount of camping gear to last multiple days or weeks and fit it in just about anything. I don't own an RV and never will. I'm not a fan of roof top tents, portable kitchens, pull behind trailers or anything more than what can fit inside a backpack, Jeep or in a kayak. I'm perfectly fine with killing/catching food and don't care what the weather is. When most are building offroad trailers to carry all their junk, I consider the storage room in a TJ quite spacious.

Needless to say, it's hard to find people to go with me. :flipoff2:
ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_photobucket_6912_1321194672753.jpg

ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_photobucket_15432_1321829254351.jpg

ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_SU1HMDAwMTEtMjAxMTA3MjgtMTgwNC5qcGc.jpg

ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj335_jrhxj1_SU1HMDAxMzItMjAxMTAxMTYtMDkwNy5qcGc.jpg

Back