Cadillac 472 to sm465

jcramsey

Guy wants to trade me a caddy 472 for a couple Chevy 292’s I’ve got. Sounds like it would be a cool engine for my K20 but I don’t have the time for anything that’s not gonna be pretty straightforward. I’m assuming I need at least a custom flywheel which also sounds expensive. Anybody done a 472/sm465 combo before and know what all is required to make it work?

Old Cadillac big blocks use the BOP pattern, not the Chevy pattern, so you will need to get a BOP bellhousing for that 465 that works with BOP or an adapter plate. There are other details that matter, like the flywheel, pilot bushing diameter, and the like.

Good site below with info and parts. It can be "straightforward" with the right parts but will not be inexpensive.

If''n you change and go to an auto, I know there are 350's and 400 turbos that had the BOP bell housing, actually some would also bolt to a chevy too, but, thy are out there. Not been long ago IIRC there was one for sale on this site. Not sure about the 400 (But I'd say there were) but know for a fact you can change a 2wd into a 4wd by taking the tail housing off and cutting the tail shaft to fit your desired t-case.
OK, LOL, like others have said, won't be cheap. Would be cool though

Back