C02 Tanks--what ya'll running?

benzj

I ain't spend 300 bucks or so on a PowerTank. Ive been reading up on making my own w/ a safe (legally hydrostatically tested) fire extinguisher tank, and a male regulator from Tellico 4wd. It's a 20lb. tank that Im looking at, aluminum.

I am wanting to run liquid C02.

What are ya'll running? and how long are you able to use your air w/ tools and filling up tires?:

I have heard by running liquid CO2 I can expect to fill 8 trucks w/ 35s and use an impact for sometime before using ALL the air.

Hopefully it will work well.
Thanks.
Bennett

I bought my CO2 tank from Welders Supply of Ebenezzer Rd in raleigh which is off Westgate Rd..

I think it was like $100 filled and then you own it and it only cost about $10 to fill it each time...

I also bought my regulator of ebay for $30 .. it has 2 gauges and all the connectors..

The biggest problem I had was guy sold me the wrong tank the 1st time. there are 2 types.. one with a hose that goes to bottm and pulls up liquid and one that has no tube and pulls gas.. you want the one that pulls the gas not the liquid or you will freeze your tools and hoses..

bought a used (steel)tank/regulator for $100 from a guy in the club who switched to OBA, then swap it out at United Welders for $18 each time. not sure how long its supposed to last, but mine works until its empty. :flipoff2: usually it'll last for a month or two if i'm just running the ARB and airing back up, for a long distance trip i'll swap it out for a new one, wether its needed or not.

bigassedredjeep said:
bought a used (steel)tank/regulator for $100 from a guy in the club who switched to OBA, then swap it out at United Welders for $18 each time. not sure how long its supposed to last, but mine works until its empty. :flipoff2: usually it'll last for a month or two if i'm just running the ARB and airing back up, for a long distance trip i'll swap it out for a new one, wether its needed or not.

Hey Biggy, what are they charging for the tank filled without a trade?

RG

that is the charge for a tank fill, they just keep some on hand and give you a different one so you don't have to wait for it

Got a 10# aluminum tank off ebay for $37, regulator from 4x4Rockshop for $26 and hose and stuff from Northern for $20. The guy at the Fire extinguishing place gave me a mounting bracket for free when he filled the tank. (helluva guy).

rockcity said:
Rick, you can have this CO2 tank I got

Thats how I got my tank. A buddy had 2 bottles for his welder. He carries the one he uses regular to the fire appliance place to be certified and filled for about $40. The bottle he gave me was actually a black high pressure nitrogen bottle from National Welders. So I just swapped it out to a low pressure CO2 for just the cost of contents, $18. I used an old regulator and hose I had on the shelf.

I've also snagged the bottle of the rig to finish welding a few projects when I emptied my argon on my welder.:smokin:

Do not get the 20# tank because it is huge and heavy. This thing weighs 50 lbs full and is 30 inches tall (dangerous, easy to knock over). Don't expect to run too many air tools on CO2, it goes thru a tank pretty fast. Brand new aluminum 15 lbs. tank from keg supply sites on the internet and fire extinguisher brackets for $15 on eBay. Get the non-adjustable regulator if all you want is filling tires save some $$$. I am ditching the 20lbs tank soon. I don't think the aftermarket handles fit the 20 lbs either. I highly suggest some kind of scale so you can weigh the tank and know how much is left.

depending on how you're gonna mount it, and 20# is not that bad of an idea...

I have mine here:

DSCN9333.sized.jpg

works great...

airing 36's back up from around 7PSI (soon to be lower after Stauns installed) uses a decent amount of CO2, so having a 20# just means less frequent fills...

and I went with a 150PSI fixed regulator...fills tires and reseats beads just fine...

I bought one off Ebay, but it's The Source, not Powertank...about 1/2 the price or so...

Greg

BRUISER said:
I bought my CO2 tank from Welders Supply of Ebenezzer Rd in raleigh which is off Westgate Rd..
I think it was like $100 filled and then you own it and it only cost about $10 to fill it each time...
I also bought my regulator of ebay for $30 .. it has 2 gauges and all the connectors..
The biggest problem I had was guy sold me the wrong tank the 1st time. there are 2 types.. one with a hose that goes to bottm and pulls up liquid and one that has no tube and pulls gas.. you want the one that pulls the gas not the liquid or you will freeze your tools and hoses..

If I am looking on ebay or around town for a tank how do I know which tank is which? Is there something that says it has a tube in it?

I run a 20lb aluminum tank and it works fine for me because I only have to move it once every 3 or 4 months. If your jeep sits in the shop for 2 out of every 3 months, you only have to refill the tank about once a year. I can get a LOT of tires on mine, and run air tools and the ARB. Its just an 8" diameter aluminum cylinder. Weighs 20-30lbs empty and 40-50lbs full. Its the same kind as they use for fountain drink machines. I run an adjustable regulator and keep it set to about 90-100psi. If I need more power on the air tools, I just turn the screw in.
I have my spare sitting in the back of my jeep, so the tank nestles between the sliders for the rear seat at the bottom, and the fender and the tire at the top.

I've got a 10# with a mount bracket I'd be happy to trade for a 5# with bracket, just FYI...

Back