Buying Junker and Building it up.

Also depends if you do work and just pay for the parts or if you have to factor in cost of install.

you could build a VERY capable cherokee for 3grand. all you need is a lil hard work on ur part.
A decent starter base cherokee -1000
Used lift floating around(4.5)..- 3-500
used axles already geared and locked 800-1000
cheapo steelies and 50%(33-35) tires - 500.00

theres your 3 grand and you would have a fairly nice cherokee. trim the fenders and hit the trail....are you looking for a trail only or would u like to DD also... if your looking for some street use i would spend a lil more on a sye or atleast a tcase drop and etc...

first gen toy pickup, or runner
rears up front, 63 chevy's, duals, 5.29's, crossover steering, 30 spline longs, lock right in the front, Lincoln the rear, and 38's thats 3 - 5k real quick...

Don't do it. Xj's are cheap enough as it is. Here's what I drive while the eb is down. It is a totaled 98 4.0 (IIRC) with an 8" rusty's LA lift 34" ltbs, 60,000 miles and a welded 8.25. (I didn't pay for any of it, old roommate did) Jeep was $1500 from the junkyard, lift 2k, tires/wheels 600, paint $20. He threw the bill of sale away after he bought it, so now there is pretty much no proof that he or I own it if something were to happen.

And after all of that money, its still a mild jeep that would be close to impossible to get tagged. Should have started with a street legal rig instead. It's not like an xj is a good candidate for a "hard-core" trailer queen anyway.

img6935wi2.jpg

:edit: And if were me that were going to build a cheep wheeler, it would be a first gen yota or a sami. Far better base than a jeep.

Tada

Looks like i found someone to buy from. as soon as everything goes through its time to build and this being my first build ill need plenty of help thanks so far.

one of my buddies picked up a 88 limited xj for 150. We just replaced the oil pan gasket and the rear main seal and its good as new minus the horrible interior of course

you can build a budget Cherokee for under 3grand. My brother has one on 32's, locked on both ends, and has less than 1500 tied up into it. The thing performs well and does almost everything he asks of it. He beats the shit out of it too. Heres a link to the build up: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=900118

-Tim

edit: alot of parts were leftover/used, but deals can be found...

i wheel a 97 xj 4.5 " lift, regeared and 35's and i've got just about 1,000 tied up in it right now, including some repairs from me beating the piss outta it

before that was an 89 xj that i picked up for 150, 3" lift and 32's and by the time i went to sell it (after a year of wheeling) i had 450 in it, and that included registration for the tags and taxes.

Back