Build your own sand blaster!

dvandiver

PVC_BLASTER_TANK_SETUP 2.JPG
This works great! I am going to build a cabinet out of plywood large enough to blast a motorcycle frame (or axle housing). makes cleaning up parts a Blast! I built one from an 11 gal air tank from home depot You can get the gun from there also. Mine works awesome.I welded a
1 1/2 inch coupling to the top of the tank with a 1 1/2 plug to add sand. I'll add an actual photo later. and using an actual air tank that is rated for 200psi i didnt add the blow off valve cause my compressor only goes to 125psi.

Here are some pics of the final product!
works awesome! I am putting a 1 1/2" ball valve in the coupling to make loading it easier. you can adjust the regulator between 7-12psi depending what media you are using. I put a valve in the sand line so when you are not blasting you can shut off the flow of sand. Make sure you use actual blasting media, Playground sand is silica and is dangerous to your health and I believe Illegal!

Some pics 028.jpg

Some pics 029.jpg

Some pics 030.jpg

Thats cool... I may have to look at a similer setup for my current gravity feed cabinet.. It works well but has some short comings in the feed department..

The large ball valve like you mentioned would be perfect for exchanging the media from the hopper to the tank..

sweet !!

You can go to tractor supply and buy one for about $90. I use the speedblaster (gravity feed gun) for small stuff, when you don't feel like messing with the pressure pot. All sand is silica, it's in clay too. The best cutting sand is the white sand that tombstone makers use.
ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b327_tdowless_BOATPICS041222copy.jpg

yes, sand has silica but glass bead for blasting doesn't. it cuts better too.

Sweet Mustang!!!

Back