Brushless ESC exploded

HAPPY

Mike B.
I have a Slash with a brand new Hobbywing ESC and Toro 4 plole brushless motor set up. I ran a sky lipo 2S battery and it ran pretty good except for a random stumble. I went through all the connections and couldn't find any issues. I swapped the battery ( thinking that was the problem ) to a Turnigy 4S, it ran across the drive way and stopped. I had steering and the throttle just stumbled. I picked the truck up to look at it and the ESC popped and burst into flame. I have no idea what happened or why, can't exactly trouble shoot it now, any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362180582385.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362180582385.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 419
that sucks bro!! i hit a slight puddle with my SC10 with a hobbywing ESC it started kinda glitching and when i got to it the ESC was so hot i just snatched the battery out of it, i dont kno if it was the water or if i had it programmed wrong but it fried it, so i feel your pain!! time to build it mo betta!! MAMBA!!!!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

It was fast with the 2S it was STUPID fast with the 4S. I'm looking around at brushless set ups. Have to look at the MAMBA stuff I guess. Is the factory TRAXXAS brushless stuff good? I don't race just like to run around the parking lot kinda stuff. Don't wanna stick a ton of money in it.

i dont race either just a basher, i have a slash on lipos and it is stupid fast on hard slick and the electronics seem to hold up great, have totally submersed it with no issues, it is the toughest, best handling r/c setup i have ever messed with in the stock form!!
i wouldnt be scared to throw a stock esc at it!!

^ Are you running TRAXXAS brushless? I have a Rustler with their water proof ESC and the Titan 12 turn I was gonna swap into it. It runs pretty good but I think it might be to slow in a heavier 4X4.

yeah on traxxas lipo batteries has good run times and stays cool as long as i stay outta tall grass

Yeah I tried that already. Its fried so bad I can't find a #. It was glitch even on the 2s

After inspecting it closer, the burst occurred where the leads run inside the ESC. That's also where the bulk if the melting is. It blew apart and blew the leads out. The + wire was melted at the end. It looks like something was shorting inside and over heated it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362204182042.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362204182042.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 372
It had a "stutter" with the 2s also. That's what makes me think it was a bad ESC.

Most likely I'm just gonna replace the motor and ESC with factory Traxxas brush less and stick to a 2s. Its just a basher anyway.

i think the 4s was part of your problem with, you have to have one of the high end ones to handle a 4s. most of the hobbywing/toro combos are only good up to 3s.

also, are you sure your stutter wasn't just motor cogging?

Back