Body panel welding suggestions.

Tacoma747

Welding the top and bottom of my cab together, haven't gotten far yet though. I have done welding on sheetmetal some, but not an awful lot. I know gaps suck to weld together, especially butt welding them together. Well I have the top sitting on the truck and need to weld it on, but there are alot of gaps, does anyone have any tips on the easiest/quickest way to weld it together? I was thinking of making some plates to overlap the two pieces in places that will not be seen, that way I could do an overlap weld. I can't get to the backside of the welds with copper, so that is out of the question. If all else fails I guess I can resort to building the gap with weld and sanding it down.

Basically, I just hate welding sheetmetal.

Weld real slow, turn the heat down and take a deep breath. If they butt together filling and sanding is the only way if you cant get them from the backside. Or just get your gaps close and even and fill w/ seam sealer. Bondo will crack out as soon as it flexes.

Get some metal and sleave it on the inside. Tack weld it first and make sure your doors all line up and close correctly. and check you windows. if you need help let me know.

Tacoma747 said:
I thought about TIG'ing it, but that would mean I either have to put a windshield in it and take it to work unwelded, or borrow a friends scratch start TIG. Still don't know how well it would work since some of the gaps are pretty sizeable.

wear a helmet or at least goggles, same as guys running sand buggys

Back