board speed?

.... trying something else.

What about now?
Did you change something? Seemed to run fantastic this morning.

I updated my flash on about thursday of last week. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Today I had about 50 tabs open and it was great. No lag, smooth scrolling, smooth clicking.

Windows XP (32 bit)
Mozilla Firefox (updated regularly)

WTF are you doing with 50 tabs open? There's your problem. What's the memory footprint on your browser with that much shit open?

That hits on a good point, though. Right now, I've got 750mb allocated to browsers and Flash. What do you want to bet that most of the people having problems are running on a machine with a gig of ram... 300mb of which is getting eaten by the OS, the browser takes the next 500mb keeping all their youtube tabs open. Then Flash jumps up to a hundred megs or so, and the whole fawking thing comes to a screeching halt as the OS tries to copy it all off to the swap file?

I did tweak something that I thought might be impacting people with old, crotchety software. It shouldn't be a problem, but if your computer doesn't know how to handle it.... who knows. Still waiting on a verdict as to whether or not it made a difference, though.

WTF are you doing with 50 tabs open? There's your problem. What's the memory footprint on your browser with that much shit open?

That hits on a good point, though. Right now, I've got 750mb allocated to browsers and Flash. What do you want to bet that most of the people having problems are running on a machine with a gig of ram... 300mb of which is getting eaten by the OS, the browser takes the next 500mb keeping all their youtube tabs open. Then Flash jumps up to a hundred megs or so, and the whole fawking thing comes to a screeching halt as the OS tries to copy it all off to the swap file?

I did tweak something that I thought might be impacting people with old, crotchety software. It shouldn't be a problem, but if your computer doesn't know how to handle it.... who knows. Still waiting on a verdict as to whether or not it made a difference, though.
Well, when I click on new posts, I scroll through the list and open the ones I want to read in a new tab by middle clicking. That way I don't have to open it, read it, then go back and try to remember where I was in the list. Since I hadn't been on in a couple days, there were 10 pages of new posts, so there were quite a few I wanted to read. This system worked very well until the upgrade, and seems to be working well again.

I'm running on a late 2010 HP Elitebook 8540w with an Intel i7 M620 dual core 2.66Ghz clock with 3.33Ghz turbo boost, and 3 gigs of RAM (I don't know why either, ask the IT department at work) and of course WinXP 2002 SP3.

Whatever you tweaked seems to have helped quite a bit on this laptop. I'll check it on my 10 year old desktop in a little bit, but I don't get surprised when it is slow. It was quite fast in its day, but that day is not today.

Whatever you did made a HUGE difference.
But to yoru point Im on a budget Lenovo laptop with only 8gb RAM

What about now?

still seems to be ok.
I ran a bunch of updates on my shit theis weekend too, so not sure If I am much help but its better than it had been....though I feel like this is a placebo tst.

are we there yet

I like ice cream

Mine is fawking fast.

Seems a little laggy, but I didn't have much open. I'll let you know how it is tomorrow morning :)

Everything seems to be running well today.

Shawn, it actually does seem faster for me as well. It wasn't what I would call slow before, but things are definitely more zippy now. Wish I had some timings before/after.. :(

I killed the chat bar. That's the difference. I didn't notice a real difference either way, but I wondered if all that javascript and jquery stuff were giving some people fits.

But then I turned it back on, and Ron said it was still fast.

Actually, my first thought was that we were calling two different versions of jquery simultaneously, and some browsers weren't listening to the noConflict instruction. But I left the second jquery call in place (its there now), and everybody seems fine with that, too.

What I might do instead is set up a user option for the chat bar. That way, people can go opt out of it if it's causing them problems.

Just wanted to stop by this thread and say thanks for figuring it out. Been smooth and fast for over a week now.

Well, for a 1st time, this site is really dragginggggggggg, right now! Might be my pc, or not. Never had this before, & will probably be fine in the morning. And the only tab open is my E-mail.
Just checked out Craigs List, & it's super fast.

Back