Board Opinions

Ron

Dum Spiro Spero
I have been in the market for a new tow rig/DD for a while.

I have found what I want, and I think its a good price, but it is above KBB. So I want reassurance that they are jsut off on this market, OR, a I price blind from lookig for this exact rig for too long?

Here is thee meat:
98.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Auto (I know I am a wimp, but I get tired of working a clutch in Charlotte traffic)
Extended cab (not quad) short bed
Sport Model
Right under 100k miles
Paint is FLAWLESS, Interior is Spotless. Honestly I was shocked the first time I saw it in daylight.

We have negotiated to 13,600.

So am I crazy?
Getting a good deal?
Or just a fair price for a nice truck?

BTW CARFAX clean if it can be trusted and Dodge dealer shows no majpr repairs. (One small power window motor warranty at 3k miles)

Thoughts?

The mileage is great for a truck of that era, BUT.. you're right at the point where lots of maintenance is needed.. lift pump, VP44, unit bearings, front end components, etc...

It WILL be a quad cab though, every 1998 had 'em. Well, VERY VERY few early '98's (12 valves) had the older "club cab", but I've yet to even see a picture of one.

Do check for the famed '53' block.

I'd say it's a good price based on the mileage... otherwise, 98.5's go for less than the early '98's because of the 24V.

It WILL be a quad cab though, every 1998 had 'em. Well, VERY VERY few early '98's (12 valves) had the older "club cab", but I've yet to even see a picture of one.

Well here ya go...its a 24V, and title says 98...

Do check for the famed '53' block.
I'd say it's a good price based on the mileage... otherwise, 98.5's go for less than the early '98's because of the 24V.

Obviously I would prefer a 12v....but finding one with less than 200k that isnt modded to hell or a regular cab seems impossible.....

Also Does anyone know a way to check the block by VIN.
I know how to in person, but I hope thee next time I make the 5.5 hour drive it is to bring it home...(BTW found on a couples weekend get away didn't drive that far just to look 1st time)

When buying any item it is easy to be blinded. You can easily overlook stuff. I always try to grab an uninterested friend to tag along. Have them step back and give you a 30' view point. Also helps to openly discuss flaws you see. Point out lack of paperwork/documentation.. etc..

But since you have already negotiated a price it sounds like its a done deal???

That's a quad cab. Looks like the little brother to mine.. :p

Ok name difference...
I thought quad cab was 4 door...

Yeah yager, I know.

thats why I am asking.
Its not a done deal, and I ahvee been VERY upfront, throughout negotiations.

We were in Nashville over new years, ran up on it. Went abck drove next day.

And have stayed in contact last few weeks.

I really like the truck, but the idea of buying above blue book seems stupid to me.

Anyway, any info on VIN checking the block?

Tell him your barrowing $ and your lender will not go over blue book. If he asks why not, as why he's selling it for so much.. While KBB and Edmonds arn't the end all be all, they are pretty good for what they are...

Just for reference what is the KBB good and excellent retail price.

Oh ya, don't be afraid to use your wife/gf as the bad guy.. Just have them ask the seller some question that you've instructed them to ask. have em comment on every little rattle or noise, harsh ride all that stuff... Have em start yelling at you about spending so much money and wasteing your time looking at such exspensive trucks, anything that might help you and waste more of the sales mans time.. Also wasting his time on a busy weekend day might help get you to a better price faster...

Well its not at a lot. Its a PrivateParty.
I think good is like 12.5 excellent 13.5?

He is easy to negotiate with because he is in a pinch. Already bought new truck.

And I just personally dont play good guy bad guy games. I just brutaly honest.
THIS is what I will pay here is why....
And Im not going to lie (Im paying cash) no amount of savings is really worth the cost.
I thought it was worth it now Im waffling...there is usually good reason behind that...

Back