black diesel...wmo?

redneckjeep87

Landscaper Extroidanaire
Anyone on here messed with wmo aka black diesel/w85? Im looking into dabbling into it a little bit and thought if someone on here has done it/ is doing it, i could come check out your setups. Ie: settling tanks etc

I have never heard much, or dealt with running straight waste oil, but I have ran filtered hydraulic fluid, motor oil, and ATF diluted maybe a couple quarts at a time with no issues. I have heard though if not diluted enough, synthetics will not burn as completely reducing power/economy a bit and more smoke.

I have thought doing it. And what I found out is some guys filter it down to 10 or lower micon before putting it in the truck.and some guys mix it with diesel, some guys boil it to get some more stuff out of it. some guys run 2 or more filters on the truck. One guy told me u can score a pison wall running it. but I really would like to do it.

One guy told me u can score a pison wall running it. but I really would like to do it.
I would be worried about injectors and the injector pump long before the piston walls...

I have heard that if you get your oil sent off for testing on a regular basis, you will get false high readings from WMO though due to stuff slipping past the rings.

Everyone over on the org says the it fouling injectors and scoring piston walls etc is myth....there are trucks over there that have over 100,000miles on this stuff and have sent injectors off to be tested and are fine( everybody over there has money). Im more interested in finding out about the setups than the theory behind this....i know what it does just need to know how to build the settling tanks etc etc

I ran it in the tool truck for a while. I had 3 55 gallon barrels setup. I would prefilter through a paint filter into the first then pump through a 10 micron filter into the second settle barrel into the 3rd barrel through a 5 micron filter. All my filters and housing came from northern tool.
I ran a 50/50 mix for a while but it didnt burn as clean beacuse i idle so much, ended up with the ideal mix at 30%waste oil, 70% fuel.

I have read about "snake oil" and wmo. At the end of it all I an scared to ruin my engine, pump, or injectors.

Is it worth it?

I am not sure. Very tempted. I hava a friend who has been heavy on the bomemade diesel fuel for years. I think he is fucking himself. Play the game unless you have thousands of extra cash to see if it works. Keep us poor folk posted.:beer:

I believe in this. Take the Multi fuel whistler motor for instance; why cant joe shmow have the s⅞ame technology??? oh yeah... i forgot...$

I would be worried about injectors and the injector pump long before the piston walls...
I have heard that if you get your oil sent off for testing on a regular basis, you will get false high readings from WMO though due to stuff slipping past the rings.

Dont have to worry bout the injection pump on a pwrstroke as there is not one....the injectors are.their own injection pump. There really isnt a way to have a catastrophic failure thru running wmo on these trucks, the 7.3 pwrstroke is the top truck to run wmo and wvo. Of course injectors arent exactly cheap....but like i said there is a lot of guys runnin this stuff with alot of miles and no injector probs

Dont have to worry bout the injection pump on a pwrstroke as there is not one....the injectors are.their own injection pump. There really isnt a way to have a catastrophic failure thru running wmo on these trucks, the 7.3 pwrstroke is the top truck to run wmo and wvo. Of course injectors arent exactly cheap....but like i said there is a lot of guys runnin this stuff with alot of miles and no injector probs
Before that post it was never mentioned what truck you were running this in...:flipoff2: And that post was not meant to say that it would cause failure in those parts, just that they would be much more prone to failure due to particles in the oil far before the cylinder walls would be.

I dunno ....I could see if it was cleaned up to the point that you could see through it again, but in the end, I look at it this way, I take used motor oil out of my rig to prevent wear, so I aint too inclined to stick it back in the fuel tank.

Before that post it was never mentioned what truck you were running this in...:flipoff2: And that post was not meant to say that it would cause failure in those parts, just that they would be much more prone to failure due to particles in the oil far before the cylinder walls would be.
Lol sorry sometimes i put the cqrt before the horse. And i agree with you completly on the fact that you would have wear on parts such as those way way loooong before you would have piston wall problems. A way to combat issues with carbon build up is to progreesivly add a little bit more rug to the wmo mixture up to 30%....or run water injection and that will keep it from building up.
I look at the whole particle in the wmo problem like this.....the standard fuel filter filters to 15 microns i think, so if the wmo is filtered to 5 microns, whats the problem? Obviously international/cat(originally developed the heui injection system) decided that anything smaller than 15 microns isnt going to affect much.

the 7.3 pwrstroke is the top truck to run wmo and wvo.

Careful there. I ran bio fuels for about 6 months before I learned that the enzymes in bio blends eats o-rings in the fuel system, causing lift pump failure. If you want to do this safely I would consider running a fuel system like the CPR system from DieselSite.

Also depending on your mixture, I would look into running some sort of fuel heater similar to what people running WVO do, to heat and thin the WMO.

To thin the wmo you cut it with 15 percent rug and then there is no need for a heater...also unlike bio the wmo is safe for orings, seals etc. Also the pwrstrokes dont have lift pumps, and the pre superduty trucks have mechanical fuel pumps

My powerstroke has a lift pump. Look under the drivers seat on the frame rail. Something esle you may want to think about is with all the additives in the Motor oil these days, ASH left in the combustion chamber. I'v see a few dieseld with ring freeze due to ash in the cylinders.

I have been running a 50/50 blend of wvo & dieselfor 5 years with no issues.

Also the stock micron rating of a powerstroke fuel filter is 5 micron, so anything you filter I would recoment a 1 micron filter bag from ebay. It's cheap ins.

Jeff isnt yours a super duty? Huh, i thought the filter was 15, maybe i stupidly added a 1 for some reason or another.....the plan was to filter down to 1 micron before it went in the truck anywqys. And the way to combat the ash leftover is water/meth injection.

When it comes to the legality of WMO, as long as its mixed with on road and not offroad you're good. My father run a 75oil/25 diesel mix in his 1997 PSD. He was pulled by the fuel police about six months ago, they took a sample from his tank and got a "wtf?" look on their face. He told them how his fuel was mixed and what it was. They said the only thing the look for when checking fuel is the dye found in offroad fuel, but for good measure they were going to send a sample of his WMO mix to be state lab tested. Test results came back 100% legal since he was mixed with on road fuel. He runs it all day in his PSD, but personally i dont run a drop in my 95' PSD(i'm just picky), even though it runs tons better than the ULSD crap sold today. He uses a centrifugal setup to clean his oil, works really well.

Back