Best Tow Rig Tire?

DOUGHBOYDD2500HD

What is the best tire to use for a all around multi purpose use?? Ride quality/long lasting/and durability/low to no road noise. Thanks.

You dont really mention off road ability or performance.
If thats a low priority check out a set of Michelin LTX A/T. They are a Sams and Michelin direct tire only. They are not AS aggressive as a BFG ATs, but are better than the long trails or similar more road aimed tires.

They are also Load Range E, and between me and my old man we have ran 3 sets of them. All 3 got at least 80k, and he actually ran one set 115k....they were pretty much used up, but not slick by any means. And they did OK off road on hunting trails farm use etc. I never wemt and played in them and wouldnt recommend it, that isnt their place.

I was pleased with the Michelin LTX M/S that were on the Dodge.

I replaced the fronts with the new Goodyear Silent Armor A/T's.. They looked really good and handled the weight of the front end better than the Michelin's.

My current rig has Kuhmo All-terrain's on it. They are quiet, and would appear to do well, for an all-terrain. They do grip the road well, and are decent (but not stellar) at hydroplaning resistance.

The Silent Armors are backed by a really good warrentee. Can't remember specifics but it was impressive when I looked into them. Goodyear is backing them heavily. Probably what I'll run when my tow rig comes to the front.

You dont really mention off road ability or performance.
If thats a low priority check out a set of Michelin LTX A/T. They are a Sams and Michelin direct tire only. They are not AS aggressive as a BFG ATs, but are better than the long trails or similar more road aimed tires.
They are also Load Range E, and between me and my old man we have ran 3 sets of them. All 3 got at least 80k, and he actually ran one set 115k....they were pretty much used up, but not slick by any means. And they did OK off road on hunting trails farm use etc. I never wemt and played in them and wouldnt recommend it, that isnt their place.

I vote the Michelin LTX A/T also.. Or what ever in stock on the dodges I think that is what it is. I have got about about 60 K on them and no problems on the trips out west in the snow or towing and hunting pulling in and out of a ditch. Have also pulled in wet clay my trailer with about 16k to 18k and made it fine. They work for me.... Not saying a different one would not be better for some things, but on a big truck, and I have had several, I keep them loaded, and never got more then 30k from a tire.

You can't beat the Michelins in my opinion. A lil more pricy but proven to last a while. They just dont make em big enough, lol.

The Silent Armors are backed by a really good warrentee. Can't remember specifics but it was impressive when I looked into them. Goodyear is backing them heavily. Probably what I'll run when my tow rig comes to the front.

I replaced the Michelin LTX M/S on my Dodge 3500 with the Silent armor's a few weeks before I sold it. They looked really good, rode quietly, and didn't "look" underinflated under the weight of the front end of my CTD.
Apparently, they didn't balance terribly well though.. I was running aluminum dually wheels, and while the worst Michelin took about 5 pieces of sticky weight, the GoodYear's had double that or more.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors have faired me well so far! Got one replaced free under warranty 'cause it got a stress bulge, no other probs though! Just hafta rotate 'em, mine's an extended cab shortbed Dmax, the rear tires wear out a lot faster than the front! :burnout::rolleyes:

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors have faired me well so far! Got one replaced free under warranty 'cause it got a stress bulge, no other probs though! Just hafta rotate 'em, mine's an extended cab shortbed Dmax, the rear tires wear out a lot faster than the front! :burnout::rolleyes:
You know a lot of you people keep talkin about your rears wear out faster then the front.... Are you not rotating them? (SRW)
I rotate them F to R but not much maybe at 20K or so if that and they went to 60k. The front and rear are about the same other then a little rounding on the edges of the tread from turning. I think the people that have the tires wear fast on the rear don't have a load on the rear so the rear scrub and spin a lot. If it has a load it plants the tire and will wear better.
My truck has a camper cover and gear in the back all the time, when it was new I would spin the tires all the time, now loaded it does not if you don't try.

You know a lot of you people keep talkin about your rears wear out faster then the front.... Are you not rotating them? (SRW)
I rotate them F to R but not much maybe at 20K or so if that and they went to 60k. The front and rear are about the same other then a little rounding on the edges of the tread from turning. I think the people that have the tires wear fast on the rear don't have a load on the rear so the rear scrub and spin a lot. If it has a load it plants the tire and will wear better.
My truck has a camper cover and gear in the back all the time, when it was new I would spin the tires all the time, now loaded it does not if you don't try.

Bingo! Yup, I've hardly ever got a load in back! Got down to 4/32 in 20K, lol! I'm sure they'll last well if I get off my duff and rotate 'em though! ;)

I think what he is saying is that they are rotating them a little to much like until the smokeis comming out of them

I work for a local tire store.......Michelins that you purchase from your local WALMART or SAMS clubs, are considered a 1st line tire......They alot of times have blemishes on the sidewalls, or are out of round or have to much weight to them. Thats why most of the time they are cheaper than your local tire store. The local TIRE DEALERS are given 2nd line tires that have been APPROVED by Michelin. The new MICHELIN LTX AT-2 is a really nice new and improved all terrain. I am Local in Raleigh NC, If any of you guys want tire discounts just call me @ 9198769144 and ask for dustin and tell me you are calling from NC 4x4 and I will be more than happy to give you the best deal I can.

hey my brother in law works for Michelin in Spartanburg...he said to ask what this 1st and 2nd line shat is?
He said its a lie made up by tire store to discount others....

Said he has redirected trucks often to meet demands...just an fyi....

He has some nice VP (verifiable pu$$& ?)after his name, so he may not know what the fuck he is talking about though,

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, We are both going by word of mouth and ear here. I have however heard a Michelin Rep. say that your local walmart and sams club got a different quality of tire also, they also get different styles and types of tires. Thats just my .02, from what I have heard also.

Power tools sold at SLowes & Home DCrapot have 2 prong plugs ant the DeWalt store has 3. Brushes, switches, armatures are different too. Large stores bargain with the manufactures, I guess? I would not doubt if tires are the same... As far as I'm concerned.. If it doesn't have lead in it, or cause cancer, it's probably not worth a crap.

I work for goodyear. The silent armors are real nice tires, we sell lots of them. I do perfer BFG ATs anyday.

BFG Commercial TAs for tow rig. Can also get M+S tread.

BLECH! Been there, had 'em, they sucked ass. The Michelin's and the Good Year's were better.

Went from a Firestone street terrain load rated D on my Excursion to BFG A/T load rated E and LOVED IT. I really think the thicker (e) sidewall helped it even when not towing, made it feel less 'body roll' type stuff.

So going from a D to E rating might make a big diff and BFG A/Ts are known for high mileage when rotated properly. For me the final kicker was they actually handled driving around the farm property on muddy road MUCH MUCH better. I realize for URE/trail rig A/Ts don't clear out as much as we like, but for occasional they beat the HECK outta street stuff.

Yeah I brought a thread back from the dead.....

I've trying to find some good tires for my tow rig since they are pretty much gone and I have one with a with a leak (so annoying having to air it up every few days!) Anyway are these Michelin LTX's the same ones that some of you liked?? ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NE...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

mmira2.ang.jpg

Back