best diesel truck?

krehel24

<- and it begins!!!......
i am sure there is a post on this, if so please post a link. if not, what is the best diesel truck? use for light towing 4door and daily driving. best all around MPG and reliability. looking for years from 2004 to 2008 or so

I am a big fan of the chevy duramax ,Ive had one and know several others that have them,they get very good fuel mileage,usually around 20-22 mpg.The allison tranny is tough,and everyone I know thats had one has gotten well over 250,000 miles out of them.The only problem I know of them is the injectors in the early models,but chevy was replacing them under warranty and even extended the warranty on mine to 200,000,another plus is that with the ifs they ride well on road.The dodges are good trucks,trannies just dont hold up that well,cummins is bulletproof.Ford doesnt have the reliability as far as Iknow since they got away from the good ol 7.3.just my 2 cents:rockon:

I've got an 06 powerstroke it's been reliable and gets 17-20 roughly with 35" toyo mt's depending how I drive it

opinion.

My OBS 97 (antique compared to most folks on here) 7.3 is a very reliable work horse. Gets around 20 mpg. I have only used a gps and hand calculated mileage a few times; odometer doesn't read. It rides a little rough compared to modern diesels. I would not hesitate to go and do anything in it tomorrow.

Most folks I know swear by either a Duramax or Cummins in the newer variety. Maintenance wise I personally would go Cheby for the year models you speak of.

On a side note, if I had the time and money I alway thought stuffing a juiced up Cummins into a really nice truck with a blow up 6.0 would be fun.

I have a 6.0 psd and would say with time and money it is reliable. They all can have problems and everyone will say the brand they own is the best so it all comes down to what you like the looks of. But my .02 is arp and bulletproof 6.0l psd will out do the others hands down and looks good doing it..

Oh and cummings means your already done... :flipoff2:

Last edited:
duramax if you want fast.
powerjoke if you want a nice truck but dont mind sitting on the side of the road.
cummins if you want it to pull like a freight train and dont mind the pos truck its in.
their all about the same on fuel depending on gearing and how you drive it now that said my dd is a cummins and i love it just wish the dodge around it had a little better build quality.

I've always liked Ford trucks and Cummins engines, but a couple months ago I ended up with an 03 Duramax and I'll probably never consider anything else. Consistently gets 19mpg (hand calc'd) with me driving the piss out of it. And it will flat out fly. Not to mention that it has 297k miles and doesn't leak a drop and rides and drives great with no rattles.

I have a 6.0 psd and would say with time and money it is reliable. They all can have problems and everyone will say the brand they own is the best so it all comes down to what you like the looks of. But my .02 is arp and bulletproof 6.0l psd will out do the others hands down and looks good doing it..

Oh and cummings means your already done... :flipoff2:
Cummins. No g .

he's being facetious

the best diesel = the one you can afford to purchase and maintain properly. period. They all have strong points, and weaknesses

Best tow rig. F250 body, cummins motor, allison trans. Boom, best youll ever have. Comfort of a ford, reliability of a cummins and a tranny that will hold down the power. Only reason for the 250 body is due to it being a d.d. ive d.d.'ed a dually, not fun parking at walmart. Unless you already have dents

beh, there aren't really as man people doing that swap anymore - An 08 ford is hard to guard with the 5r110. That's a BIG transmission, btw.

drive an 08 ford and you will love the interior, quiet and smooth. the trans is awesome, very few problems with the tow/haul auto in them. the only downside is the diesel particulate filter. delete it and tune it and you will have the most power of any of the diesel trucks other than the newer ones.( trucks set up with a tuner and exhaust only, other mods may change it a little, ie bigger turbos,injectore etc...)

I'm a pretty big Chevy fan and I like solid axles and the old square bodies....so, I swapped a Cummins and NV4500 in an old CUCV. Can't buy what I want, so I built it. Was planning on doing a Cummins/NV4500 swap in my 99 Silverado after I finished up the SAS, but decided to leave it alone.

It's the fastest and most fuel efficient K30 I've ever ridden in :D

You can't beat the Ford. I have had three since 1999. I currently have a 2003 6 L with 380,000 miles and going strong, not a rattle or a squeak. I have done none of the "6 Liter fixes" given by the internet boards. I have maintained it and driven it. Last week I drove it to Atlanta stayed the week drove around Atlanta in traffic, and drove home 520 miles for the week on 24.38 gallons of fuel used. You can calculate the mileage. Very good and reliable truck.

ford f250 or f350 with the 7.3L
my 2000 f350 DRW 4X4 is geting 17 to 22 mpg on the 100 hp tune

My 04 duramax was tuned and semi built and was a fast daily driver. I didn't like towing with it even on tow tunes. Felt like I was beaten the piss out of it. Interior was great minus the electrical gremlins.
Current 03 cummins has injectors and air dog. It's a 6 speed. Tows amazingly just wish it had more go. The dash looks like 14 fault lines, dash sounds like a paint shaker with bouncy balls in it. Seats are uncomfortable, window switches don't work for shit and the doors don't unlock when truck cuts off. Other than that I love my cummins. I'd love the ford with cummins.

i have a 2005 f250 bullet proofed at 202k no probs just didnt want problems and be parked all i have done other than that is an airdog 100 custom tuned predator turbo back and an intake itll flat run in the hot tune like out running mustangs and camaro to 100 or so and itll pull a good sized trailer btw it has 290k now, but i like 03-07 with the 6spd and 08-10 fords (dad has one with deletes and a spartan) all trucks have down falls but theyre all good in the long run

I have a '00 F250 7.3 6 speed.

4.5 inch exhaust, super chip and Valair clutch. Only issue I've had is o-rings in the hubs, I lock the hubs manual if i need 4x4

Dad has had 2 '96 and a '99 7.3.

Neither of us has ever had any issues other than typical maintenance. Good power decent ride and dependable. I daily drove mine till recently, if not for diesel and oil change price I would probably still be daily driving it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've been a dodge guy since they where shaped like barns. I've ridden and drove fords and chevy's and sure the chevy rides a little better with the ifs, but I'd take a solid front axle over ifs anyday with less moving parts and wear items and a solid front is arguably stronger than ifs. I don't see much difference in interior comfort with either one, I had a dodge with the cracked dash but that thing was flawless in every other area. Pretty much every real truck guy modifies their truck to suite their needs, and there's a good bit of brand loyalty. If you truly have no brand loyalty you'll be able to be more objective and choose the best truck for your needs. Then you'll spend another 6k getting it to do what you want it to and have "the best deisel truck" for you. I'll keep juicing my 05 6spd cummins and wrenching on my 85 Dodge and when I'm hauling the toys to the trail grossing 26k I'll still wave to you when I pass you on the hwy even if your in a ford or chevy:driver:

Not if you don't keep a clutch in yours Dave! :D

seriously man. That was a pain. I got to say though Valair took care of me and resurfaced the fly and replaced everything else. All I had to do was cover shipping. And I was 3 weeks out of warranty. Still not 100% on what happened but I think the floater plate between the 2 disc warped so it just couldn't release enough. Almost done with the break-in period then I can start hauling stuff again. Other than that minor set back I'm really liking the dual disc from Valair, and once I get around to the next round of mods I might have to upgrade to their triple disc if this one can't hold the power. When its light it will probably just break the tires loose, but when I'm hauling and poor the coals to her I don't know if the clutch is going to take it. Probably be later this year before I pluck the motor though, depends on how busy I am at work and if I can get my trailrig to pass inspection so I can drive that in the down time.

Back