belly up!

Rich

Asshole at large
This weekend, thanks to a prototype clocking ring from BudBuilt, I got to do what I've really been wanting to.. a flat, flush skidplate.

In this pic, you can see that the skid angles down towards the rear.. approx 2" below the frame at the rearmost edge. (There is 1" angle welded around the perimeter, that's why it doesn't look like much)
skid_jpg.jpg

When we made the crossmembers for the transmission/skid/wrap bar/carrier bearing/etc.. we designed in this slope, to help support the skid.. Well, in order to go belly up, both of them needed to be re-made, along with a ton of other little things that took the better part of 20 hours.

But now, the skid is right against the frame - a 2" gain in ground clearance... the same as going to 42's! (But much nicer to my axles) The skid is ~36" long, for reference.
low_jpg.jpg

side_jpg.jpg

Looking good Rich.

If you want any 1/4" plate for a new flat skid let me know. We have a few sheets for sale now.

<><Fish

Bud, I"ve got some pics of the clocking ring mounted to the tranny, I'll post them tonight.

FishHunt said:
Looking good Rich.
If you want any 1/4" plate for a new flat skid let me know. We have a few sheets for sale now.
<><Fish

I want aluminum!!! :flipoff2:

That reminds me...The 3/16" steel skid was getting bent to hell because it was unsupported between the mounts (front to rear).. This takes care of that, it should hold up very well... But it's still heavy because of its size.. (36x32)

Caver Dave said:
What's the PVC for Rich?

Pipe bomb... :D

The one on the left has a spare inner axle shaft in it. trying to keep 'em low.

BRUISER said:
Where is the pic of the clocking ring???
and how much did it actually raise the cases??? just the clockig ring

I will grab you some pics tomorrow......I will be using one on a project I am working on.

12 degrees should be right
Andy

Rob needs to get off his ass and get the pics off his camera.

Andy's right, 12° rotation. It gained me about 1.5-1.75" clearance... Pulls the front output level with the rest of the case.

Andy - you guys are using a 700R4 - Toy case ring?

Yes he is! See what you started Rich?!?!?! :)
Actually, it is a TH350 to toy cases. :driver:
Flat head screws go into the back of the tranny, studs go into the adapter and clock the tcase 12*. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• 700R4 clocking ring.JPG
    700R4 clocking ring.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 456
Aw, shucks! I thought this was gonna be about how he rolled it over or somethin cool like that.

KIDDING!

Gimme a week.

how'd you end up redoing the tranny mount(s)?

That's still alot of weight to hang on the backof a 700r4 w/ 4 bolts..

-mike (currently freezing my ass of in NY)

I'm not happy with it yet, I plan on tying it in with more of the bolts when I get back. I think it'll hold for now. (Famous last words) When I get back, I'll try and get something like this:
http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/crossmember_center_plate.htm

Basically, I took one of the bolts out of the rear of the t-case and made a L bracket.. one goes through the bolt into the t-case, one goes into the same kind of tranny mount I have under the trans.

I like mounting it at the rear alot more than where it was, and the setup seems to feel tigther as I drove it briefly.

I made sure that both the mounts were loaded equally as well, so that one mount wasn't holding all the weight.

Looks good. I used the FROR mount, it is a nice piece and deffinately a value instead of trying to cut your own.

Here's some ideas for you for a center damped mount. :driver:
The idea is that your crossmember and skid takes the hit and the poly bushings are in the center for good damping without VIBRATION. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0146 (Small).JPG
    PICT0146 (Small).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 332
Good pic Bud, and very much like what I plan on doing... but still using the GM tranns mount to keep the "give" consistent.

Back