beginner welder

AX(J)15_tudor

Best advice on getting into welding? Take a local class or buy a cheap welder and get after it? Also what's the most useful entry level welding setup and what costs are realistic. I'm slowly getting the jeep bug and quickly realizing being able to weld is a prerequisite to save coin.

FTR my exposure to welding is about 0. I know some use rods some don't. Some use gas some don't and that's about it.

Take some classes, after that get a good used welder and have at it. Whenever chris(marsfab) starts classes again take one of his classes.

Anyone else have countless mini trailer frames welded up when you were learning? No piece of angle was safe in the basement.

Anyone know when marsfab offers classes?

I think Marsfab knows... get on google & start learning the lingo, terms & different types of welding. Look on youtube for visual aid. Educate your self as much as you can, you may find you do not need a class. All the info it at your finger tips if your powers of googlefoo are strong.

That's why I was asking. Youtube has taught me a ton so far regarding the xj and all I've done with it so far. Figured with welding I'd get perspectives on what those had been through it thought.

I was going to link you directly to a couple of websites, but they're all pretty much condensed in the Welding and Fab forum on Zuwharrie. http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/board,57.0.html Read through the stickies there. Then take a welding class. You can read all you want, but the fact is that some can and some can't, and practice can only fix so much. Classes have gotten more expensive, but it's still cheaper than buying a welding outfit only to learn that you can't hang. It's not for everybody. And it's not cheap to get into. NEVER just "pick up a cheap welder." You will learn bad techniques trying to compensate for its shortcomings and likely put down weak and potentially dangerous welds.

I was going to link you directly to a couple of websites, but they're all pretty much condensed in the Welding and Fab forum on Zuwharrie. http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/board,57.0.html Read through the stickies there. Then take a welding class. You can read all you want, but the fact is that some can and some can't, and practice can only fix so much. Classes have gotten more expensive, but it's still cheaper than buying a welding outfit only to learn that you can't hang. It's not for everybody. And it's not cheap to get into. NEVER just "pick up a cheap welder." You will learn bad techniques trying to compensate for its shortcomings and likely put down weak and potentially dangerous welds.
This is the type of info I as really hoping for.

Welding can only be learned by handson,screw a class just do it. You will get better the more u weld. IMO classes are a waste,its like ASE certified doesnt mean ur a mechanic.

Welding can only be learned by handson,screw a class just do it. You will get better the more u weld. IMO classes are a waste,its like ASE certified doesnt mean ur a mechanic.
Classes dont make you a pro but teaches you basics on some one elses dime. You use there materals and consumibles.....

Anyone else have countless mini trailer frames welded up when you were learning? No piece of angle was safe in the basement.

X2 and then some

I see your new. Don't care too much for your advice to be honest. Many bad habits are learned through "just doing it" ANd when it comes to welding, knowledge is power, and I would much rather trust my life to someone who has had some instruction. True, being ASE certified, doesn't make you a mechanic, but it does give a good start and a good understanding of what steps you need to do to get the result you need. please leave the advise to people who know. You don't.

I see your new. Don't care too much for your advice to be honest. Many bad habits are learned through "just doing it" ANd when it comes to welding, knowledge is power, and I would much rather trust my life to someone who has had some instruction. True, being ASE certified, doesn't make you a mechanic, but it does give a good start and a good understanding of what steps you need to do to get the result you need. please leave the advise to people who know. You don't.
To each his own, maybe if u have nothing nice to say then shut ur mouth

I was just giving advice of my exp. and u insult me. Real pro for a mod

To each his own, maybe if u have nothing nice to say then shut ur mouth

I think it is you who needs to shut your mouth, what upnover said was spot on. This is a very friendly fourmn, if you want to be all bitchy get on pirate, they love people like you.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

I think it is you who needs to shut your mouth, what upnover said was spot on. This is a very friendly fourmn, if you want to be all bitchy get on pirate, they love people like you.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk
wow ok tough guy

classes will teach you a lot about the basic processes, how to initially set up each machine, and more. It won't make you a good welder but will teach you the basics.

buy a cheap stick welder. Once you learn that you can mig pretty easy once you get the hang of the actual process.

I was just giving advice of my exp. and u insult me. Real pro for a mod

If I didn't give up my mod status a while back, I would have banned your ass for you comment to Chip. That's real pro for a mod huh?

Unnecessary asshat bullshit. This behavior is not welcome round these parts...

Fawkin newbs...

Like water off a ducks back Jeff. I honestly hope he stays around. He may just learn something that will better the wheeling world. I really just wanted to point out, that his advice, was not good advice. That said, it is how many of us learned, myself included. But, looking back, if I had of had some good instruction from someone who knew what they were doing, it would have helped me out a lot.
It would have saved me a lot of time, money, grinding disks and so on. Still after all these years of welding, I can still look at build threads, and more so the weld thread that really showed of some nice layment of bead, and can honestly admit to myself that I am by no means an authority on welding. Some of the guys here on this board are just plain magicians with a welder.

i took a basic class at a local comm college and it was like 100 bucks for twice a week for a few months... its been a while. i spent close to four...five hundered bucks on my setup. used welder 220 mig bought a tank setup. works great but the more you spend the better they are. i learned from a few good tricks from greats watching over my shoulder while i worked correcting me as i went. its an aquired trade and hobby pratice pratice pratice.. i had all my certs when i worked at freightliner building dump trucks.. i really love doing it.. good luck and get up with chris at marsfab for sure.. he welds like a BOSS!

sent from deep space via galaxy S 2

Back