Because Race Shop - Left Eye Blind Racing

Cough cough...double ascareds :fuck-you:

Agreed...I see it daily in my groups, 'stupid efi isn't working right, what do I need to swap to a carb'. My standard response is, if you can't pull a code to tell you what general area is malfunctioning, they should probably avoid swapping the top end. But again, on the internet, 98% of people think tuning a carb is turning the mixture screws 1.25 turns out, soooo...you have that to contend with.

Don't feel bad. Chevy guys are scared of overhead cams!

"Stupid EFI." Yeah. Those are the same guys who have never heard of an emulsion tube. I don't claim to be a carb guru. I guess I know more than most, less than a whole lotta folks, though. I understand enough about them to know that letting a computer handle the hard work is a really good idea when you have the option.

It's not all glitz and glam...

IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0841.jpg

I'm right there with you...I'm the same way, and I like the idea of being able to drive upside down if I want to. Most of our customers though look at it like this...being competitive/winning is being competitive/winning. People are weird...and I'm not sure why that's the area they get cold feet. Another one I see frequently are with headers...drop $10k on an engine, then want to scrimp and go with $199 headers from summit. Most of the time they can be convinced to go with the $450 mad doggs...but I'd bet only 20% opt for mad doggs and the $450 jet hot coating. That said, I'm pretty good at spending other people's money.

If I was your customer, I'd stick with the local options and at least go with Kooks. If you can't afford to put a $1200 set of headers on a engine of that price range, just pack up your Legos and go home. I can't afford the engine in the first place, so it's a non-issue for me. :p

Or have Pro-Fabrication make me something sexy (but probably $$$). GoodFabs would have been an option too, but it would cost more than the engine, and they closed up their Mooresville location and only work out of the main UK branch now. Honestly, I'd probably just hang a Pro-FAB or GoodFabs header on the wall and just look at it instead of using it.

Last edited:
We did get lucky with one customer that must have had one helluva inheritance. Custom Pro-Fab headers, those weren't going to work on the Dyno, so he had another custom set made for a half day worth of Dyno time. Those customers are my favorite...haha.

Alright...for the rest of the class...why in the hell would you fill a motor with concrete!?:confused:

Not actual concrete. Hardblok, it's an engine block filler to fill up water passages. It adds rigidity to the block. Same principle as not having an alternator on a drag car...since it's not running long enough to need an alt, it doesn't really need it. Since this engine will only be running a max of 30 seconds at a time, it doesn't really require standard coolant Flow.

Hmm, spend lots of cash on a righteous motor. Crank, stab, shut down.....everything else push. That's not weird that's insane.
Btw read the other needed thread. Got any use for 76-78 era 351/400... I think that's what it is?

Hmm, spend lots of cash on a righteous motor. Crank, stab, shut down.....everything else push. That's not weird that's insane.
Btw read the other needed thread. Got any use for 76-78 era 351/400... I think that's what it is?

Even more insane...$25k build needs to be torn down and rebuilt every season to the tune of 10-15k. I need to figure out what these guys are doing for a living.

And I think paul is about as loaded down as he can be with cores at the moment...but I'll ask. Thanks.

With a partial epoxy fill, you can still get a decent amount of cooling flow at the top of the bore where most of the heat generation is.
That stuff scares me though, it never has the same coefficient of thermal expansion as the block metal, and it doesn't take much to shift bores or push them out of round when the block and epoxy start heating up at all. Expansion is geometry based and not only dependent on bulk material properties, so you're not going to just shrink a circle into a smaller circle, it's going to change shape instead. Less of a problem with iron blocks than aluminum, as the coeff of expansion of something like hard blok is closer to the c-of-e of iron.
Again, if you don't run it very long, you never build enough heat to create problems.

Last edited:
I've seen it done before, and I understand the theory behind it, but I'm still not really a fan. What I know about it, I'd typically advise against...but the class rules combined with power requirements, this build requires some creative and extensive machining to the block. Like I said, this is the first one I've been a part of and the first to go through the shop.

I haven't used it before myself, but I'm a big materials and composites guy so I've been fascinated by it for many years. I've had some past friends that have used it, with mixed results. It really seems like one of the modern high power block designs is the way to go, but only if the class rules allow it. There's just too many downsides and risks, I agree. If you have to wait too long to stage, all of a sudden you scuff a piston or 3 (or worse) during the run because you built too much heat, etc.

Top secret build...should end up with around a 15.2:1 compression ratio. This might require premium, or an octane booster from autozone.

IMG_1083.JPG

I hate to sound like the guy behind the AutoZone counter, but, what kind of vehicle is it going in? :lol:

I hate to sound like the guy behind the AutoZone counter, but, what kind of vehicle is it going in? :lol:

Are those wipers for a 2 or 4wd...haha. And a full size strip truck.

How did you get along this long with that many engines builds without an electric ring filer?

Power block says I just needed sand paper and a dremel. We had one...this is just a new one.

I think we started a trend. Get your engines built and vehicles restored by the guys that will buy you a bottle of booze...haha

IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG

Thats awesome. Didn't know you could get custom made labels for Crown....

Yeah, been doing it for a few years now. I'm more of a Maker's fan myself, but CR is more convenient to get a custom label for, and it has a bag. We started off doing it as joke for customers we had known for a while, like 'Project PITA' or had one during the summer months called 'Project Nut Sweat'...the more we did, the more people requested it. The more popular it became, the more serious the names got, obviously.

Thats very cool. Crown is my go-to for most things but do enjoy nicer bourbons/whiskeys from time to time. I'll have to look into the custom labels.

Back