Barnes 4WD All things Leaf Sprung!

Barnes 4wd

I know, I know, I know…. Everybody wants a linked rig, but the truth of the matter is a good leaf spring setup will outperform a linked rig with poor suspension geometry ever time. Leaf springs are simple, strong, somewhat tunable and just plain work. Another great thing is that there are so many OME leaf springs to choose from you have the 63” super flex Chevy springs to the Dodge Dakota Springs that give you killer departure angles and so many more that have great characteristics. And did I mention that you can set up a great leaf spring suspension for about half the cost of a 4 Link.
So here is a breakdown of some of the most durable leaf spring components that the industry has to offer.

First let’s talk about U-Bolts. The biggest misconception with U-bolts is that they are all the same; this could not be farther from the truth. We feel that U-Bolts are the most important component of a leaf spring suspension and this is why we are so meticulous about the specifications of our U-bolts. Our U-bolts are made from a cold drawn 1541 alloy that is stress relieved. This produces an alloy that is has grade 8 strength but not grade 8 hardness. The threads on our U-bolts are 5/8”-18 fine threads and are manufactured with a smooth rolled thread. The mating Hi-Nuts are hardened as well as the thick washers and are manufactured with sharp cut threads. When a U-Bolt is tightened the U-Bolt threads stretch as they mate with the Hi-Nuts. This insures proper tightness of the fastener is maintained. This stretching is not visible but a U-bolt should never be reused because removing the tall nut will cross thread the U-Bolt. Our U-bolts bolts have a torque spec of 150 foot pounds and should never be tightened with an impact gun. Our U-bolts can be purchased here
https://www.barnes4wd.com/U-Bolts-U-Bolt-Plates_c_37.html
U-Bolt.jpg
Next you have the spring perches. Spring perches need to be ridged and made to fit your application. Like all of our products they are made with US steel and are Laser cut and then bent on a CNC press brake. The leaf spring perches are made from ¼” steel and are 7 ¾” long to help with axle wrap and have three holes for the center pin of your leaf springs. I know that these are a little long for a spring under application and most customers just cut about a 1” from each end. We currently offer these in eleven different sizes so you can find a leaf spring perch that will have the right axle diameter and the correct width for your leaf spring and we are adding more all the time. Our Spring perches are sold in pairs
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Anti-Wrap-Leaf-Spring-Perches_c_36.html
Barnes 4wd Hd Spring Perch.jpg
Great leaf spring Perches have to have something strong to work with so when we designed our U-bolt plates we made sure that it had the BEEF. Our U-bolt plates are laser cut from 3/8” and then bent on each end to give you a supper rigid U-bolt plate. These U-bolt Plates have three leaf spring center pin locations to match our Leaf Spring Perches and come in a verity of sizes to match your axle diameter and spring width and have slots to accept our 5/8” U bolts. We even have ½” thick U-bolt plates for Dana 60 King Pin applications. Our U-Bolt plates are sold in pairs.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/U-Bolts-U-Bolt-Plates_c_37.html
U-Bolt plate.jpg
Kingpin plate.jpg

Last edited:
We also have you covered at the ends of your leaf spring with a great selection of leaf spring hangers and shackle hangers. Our hangers are laser cut from ¼” US Steel and are then formed on a CNC Press Brake. We offer our hangers in three different sizes to accommodate 2.5” 2.75” and 3” wide leaf springs. Barnes 4wd shackle hanger come in two different configurations with a center mount and a flush mount. The center mount is great for uniformly distributing the load to the frame and our Flush Mount Hanger optimizes approach and departure angles when the shackle is at the end of the frame. Our shackle hangers have a 2” DOM sleeve with a ¼” wall thickness. You will also get poly bushing and a heavy wall inner sleeve.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Spring-Shackle-Hangers_c_38.html
Flush_Mount_Shackle_Hanger.JPG
Center_mount_Shackle_hanger.JPG
Leaf_Spring_Hanger.JPG
To get everything working together we have a great verity of shackles. All of our single shackles are made form 3/8” plate that is laser cut. We offer them in 4”, 5” and 6” lengths (all measurements are measured from center of the bolt hole to center of the bolt hole). We also offer all three lengths in two different offsets of 1/8” and ¼”. This works great if you are changing leaf spring width but do not need to change your spring and shackle hangers. One thing to keep in mind is the amount of lift that you will get when going with a longer shackle. If you have a factory 4” shackle and you upgrade to one of our 6” shackles you will get 1” of lift not 2”. Since the shackle is only lifting one side of the leaf spring from the frame and the axle is in the center then the increase in height will be cut in half.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Shackles-Lift-Shackles_c_35.html
Shackle.JPG
Shackle_.250_Offset.JPG

Last edited:
Axle swap combo.jpg
Kingpin Axle swap combo.jpg

Looking to change out the axles in your rig and need all the parts to get your going. We have you cover no matter if you are putting Ford King Pin 60, a Gm 14 Bolt, a Dana 44 and we offer many more Axle Swap Combos. When it comes to changing axles in a leaf sprung rig you want to get it right the first time, and forget about it. Like all of our products, they are made in the USA from USA steel. These combos include all the parts that you will need for your weekend axle swap.
• Four 10" x 5/8" U-Bolts With Tall Nuts and HD Washers
• Two Spring perches
• Two U-Bolt Plates
• Two Bent Axle Shock Mounts
Some kits do vary to fit you specific application. If you would like to exchange a item for one of a different size just let us know. Our Axle Swap
Barnes Solid Axle Swap Kits

SUA swap combo.JPG

Our axle swap combo's are the best of the best. Our SUA swap combo will allow you to your u bolts with the nuts on top so they do not get damaged while you are out on the trail. Running the u bolts with the nuts on top also prevents them from getting hung on rocks on your way over them! This kit will work with and 2.5” leaf spring. When it comes to changing axles in a leaf sprung rig you want to get it right the first time, and forget about it. Like all of our products, they are made in the USA from USA steel. This combo includes all the parts that you will need for your weekend axle swap.

• Four 10" x 5/8" x 2 1/2" Square U-Bolts With Tall Nuts and HD Washers
  • Two Spring under perches
  • Two Spring under U Bolt Plates for 2.5" Springs
  • Two Bent Axle Shock Mounts

SUA Swap Combo

Last edited:
Thanks for your business

With tall tires and lockers a traction bar is just what the doctor orderd. This kit will eliminate axle wrap and save your u-joints and leaf springs

Kit includes

One Pair of Three Link / Radius Arm Mount
Three DOM Sleeves and Poly Bushings
Two 4" long ¼" offset HD shackles
One Tube Insert (7/8-14) 1 1/2" ID
One 7/8-14 Jam nut
High Misalignment Spacer - 3/4" to 5/8" Stainless Steel (pair)
One Chromoly 7/8"- 14 X 3/4" Heim
One Pair of Full Circle Bushing Mount

Traction Bar Kit.jpg
Anti-Wrap Traction Bar Kit

Square U-bolt.jpg

U Bolt, 5/8" x 2 1/2" x 10" Square

U Bolt, 5/8" x 2 1/2" x 10" Square

Spring Under Perch Pair.JPG

Lots of people are starting to realize the advantages of a spring under suspension. One big advantage is that it keeps the center of the axle closer to the main leaf in the leaf spring pack. This greatly reduces the leverage placed on the leaf spring pack on vehicles with large tires and lockers so the tendency for axle wrap is greatly reduced. Also with a SUA configuration you can run a softer leaf spring with more arch which will provide more suspension travel without adding lots of lift that would raise your center of gravity. This is why all the desert guys that have leaf springs in the back will run a set of Deaver Long Travel Spring with a SUA set up. These perches are made to fit a 3” to 3.25” axle diameters but can be easily modified to fit larger axle tubes. Barnes 4WD Spring Under Perches are sold in pairs.

Spring Under Perch Pair

Spring Under axle U bolt plate.JPG

The Barnes 4WD SUA U bolt plate allows you to set up your spring under suspension in a way that the u bolt nuts are on top so they are not hanging down low and being damaged. The also removes the chance of your u bolt nuts getting hung on a rock. These u bolt plates are made to be welded on top of the axle and fill fit a 3” or 3 ¼” axle tube but can be easily modified to fit other axle sizes. These SUA u bolt plates are made to be used with 2.5” wide leaf springs and are sold in pairs.
Spring Under Axle SUA U bolt Plate Pair

Last edited:
Thanks for your orders

If you need to swap out any of the items in our axle swap kits just let us know!

What about the part that holds the spring packs together and kind of wraps around them? Is 4 reccomended per spring pack?

What about the part that holds the spring packs together and kind of wraps around them? Is 4 reccomended per spring pack?
Shawn
I do not have those. I have always run two per leaf pack, one in front of the axle and one behind the axle.
Thanks
Brad

Thanks, I should be able to fab some. I've seen a design that has two 90s like |_| and then a bolt across the top that looks pretty simple to make.

What is the difference between the chevy 60 u bolt plates and dodge 60 u bolt plates? I have no idea what mine is. Passenger drop kingpin, cut down to about 60" wms-wms, no bom number visible. I assume the difference might be in the distance between the studs on the diff side spring perch?

What is the difference between the chevy 60 u bolt plates and dodge 60 u bolt plates? I have no idea what mine is. Passenger drop kingpin, cut down to about 60" wms-wms, no bom number visible. I assume the difference might be in the distance between the studs on the diff side spring perch?

Yes, you are correct, however some of the dodge and chevy use the same plate and we also have a Dodge only plate. If you can provide me with the measurements I will see to it that you get the right parts.
Thanks for your interest
Brad

Thanks, I should be able to fab some. I've seen a design that has two 90s like |_| and then a bolt across the top that looks pretty simple to make.

If I made a set I would use channel instead of welding two pieces of angle iron together.

Back