August 15th 2015 Uwharrie OHV workday.

IMHO, the campsites NEED to go. Just look at the entrance to Falls Dam. People are now camping at least 100 yards off trail and leave a mess. A few weeks ago we had to put a fire out that was left smoldering on Dickey Bell. Great way to start a forest fire... Camping should reserved for the campgrounds.

Fortunately we only have 2 big camp sites on Dutch John but they are getting bigger and people feel like they can travel all through the woods to camp and leave their crap.

Camping should reserved for the campgrounds.

The dispersed camping has struck me as getting a little unwieldy as well, and the fact that it's not generating any direct revenue for the Forest Service seems like a negative consequence as well.

Ban the idiots, keep the camp sites! Simple IQ test at the entrance would fix 100% of the problems.

I have stopped going altogether for this reason alone - the trash.

I can't ride without picking it up, therefore I can't ride with any enjoyment...

I don't like people in general, but f-tards that leave these messes make me lose my mind. And there doesn't seem to be any mechanism in place to stop it.

And no BUD LIGHT!

The
The dispersed camping has struck me as getting a little unwieldy as well, and the fact that it's not generating any direct revenue for the Forest Service seems like a negative consequence as well.
Art Lilley Campground is a fantastic facility that doesn't generate any more revenue than the trail pass fee. What's the difference?

The Art Lilley Campground is a fantastic facility that doesn't generate any more revenue than the trail pass fee. What's the difference?

True - there really isn't a difference from a financial perspective, to this I'd agree with you.

I'm definitely not trying to insinuate that the Lilley Campground get shut down or any other spots for that matter but pointing at the amount of trash collected at the campsites and stating that there's a reason to shut them down is obtuse to the whole problem. Both campsites mentioned are easily accessible so the rangers need to earn their pay and regularly patrol them. The trash is a problem that cannot be solved, it can only be mitigated.

I'm definitely not trying to insinuate that the Lilley Campground get shut down or any other spots for that matter but pointing at the amount of trash collected at the campsites and stating that there's a reason to shut them down is obtuse to the whole problem. Both campsites mentioned are easily accessible so the rangers need to earn their pay and regularly patrol them. The trash is a problem that cannot be solved, it can only be mitigated.
Trash is only a small issue with "off the trail" camping. The real issue that is at the root of it is driving off trail to there camp spots. You see rigs 200-300 yards off the trail center line that then becomes issues of spider trails and arch site issues. This has been discussed at the trail strategy meetings as solutions of possible "mini parking lots" at high use spots to camp only here spots.

Well if things continue down the path they're on the trail system will be a single track guardrailed semi paved road. It's already no challenge even for my mildly built YJ. I can see why people are jumping ship and paying for use of private parks. Harlan doesn't seem that far away anymore. Maybe everyone's just swabbing the deck of the Titanic when Uwharrie is involved.

Back