Asheville Area?

michael fortini

Hey Hey!
I just bought a Jeep and want to play!
I saw those pics posted on the Oct 30th thread. Ok...some of you are Crazy going on those roads so I will be excited to meet you....but...I can't drive like that.....yet?

Where are some places close to Asheville that I can ride...like under level 5 I guess.
(Not sure of these level numbers either)
Thank for your help!

Michael

I think your best option would be some nice scenic (public) fire roads someplace. Maybe hurricane creek. The closest Off Road Parks are the Flats or the SHOP both are in Marion. There is nothing in Asheville itself.

Awesome....fire roads...I will google that?
Fire roads/ forest service roads they are all over pick up a map and they will have them marked. hurricane creek is in haywood county. There is a club in Asheville called Carolina crawlers, and one on haywood called Appalachian 4x4 both groups are friendly and will show you the ropes. What do you have, and what has been done that will let people be able to help you know which trails to take.
This is also an open ride at the flats October 16-18

Hurricane Creek and Goat Trail in Haywood County are your best options.
If you are ever in South Asheville, drop me a line and stop by the shop. I can tell ya how to get to them.
755-1005

There is a "new" place just inside Tn, Outdoors in the Smokies. Will be checking it out on the 27th. Small place, 65 acres plus a gun range. Think it's like $20 per rig.
As mentioned ^^^ Hurricane and Goat are pretty much it except for the Forest Service roads.

Awesome! Thank you soooo much.
What place would have a map that shows fire roads do you think?

I'm over in the Raleigh area and have been doing some research from a distance for some exploration trips I hope to take soon - two map sources I've been using are the ones from the USDA:

National Forests in North Carolina - Maps & Publications <- scroll down to the "Motor Vehicle Use Maps" (you can download or request a physical map)

And the ones from National Geographic:

National Geographic Store

These can be ordered online, or outdoor places like REI tend to have them in stock.

There are other digital maps out there, and a number of GPS tracks - I'm just sort of old school so went the paper route.

Good luck!!

Jonathan

Just moved to Asheville myself. Down to wheel & travel. Just went to Dixie Run last weekend. Hope to meet some new off-road heads. Into miled or wild. Dana 910-726/7633

Just moved to Asheville myself. Down to wheel & travel. Just went to Dixie Run last weekend. Hope to meet some new off-road heads. Into miled or wild. Dana 910-726/7633
Hit the SHOP this weekend. Check upcoming events. :driver:

Check out and like The Flats Offroad Park on facebook. Message me on Facebook about setting up a ride

Back