Anyone know mazdas?

rattlecanpaint

My buddy has a 1994 mazda mx-6 2.5 litre v6 that started running bad today. He said he pushed the clutch in waiting for someone to turn right and when he let the clutch back out and stepped on the gas it lurched and started missing and had a major loss of power. When I followed him to my house in it is was burning really rich. Smelled bad and smoked whenever he gave it any gas. We replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor a leaking valve cover gasket that filled one of the spark plug hole almost all the way up. It doesn't run any better so we did a google search and found problem could be the fuel pressure regulator. I pulled the vacuum line off it while idling and it didn't change. Didn't change at higher rpm either. It revs much slower than before and not near as high. I checked the fuel pressure and it is about 5 psi at idle and drops to 4 or so on rev up. I think it should be higher than that, but it's spitting fuel out the tail pipe. (I have a nice black stain on my driveway now.) We're at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions? A new fuel pressure regulator is $100 give or take a few$$ and we've already spent $240, so we don't want to just guess about it.

No codes? check fuel pressure first. If its in range (get with me monday and I'll look up spec should be around 35-42) Check for a sticking a/f meter if its the plunge type. (round plastic with the wierd looking cone slide thing in the middle) They will stick and cause all kinds of running problems. Look under it if the fuel pressure is high and make sure the return line isn't flattened. :flipoff2: Seen it done more than once with a floor jack. :lol:

Fuel pressure is supposed to be 35 at idle and 45 at wot. I got 5 at idle and 4 at wot. Pretty sure it's the regulator except nobody in raleigh has one! Not even the carquest warehouse! We put one on that pep boys said might be the right one but the inlet was a bit smaller. The car ran better at idle but bucked and jerked when driving. It also reved up slower than normal, so we think the one they gave us was for a 4 cyl. We've ordered one and whenever it gets here we'll put it on and see. Hopefully this will fix it.

Back