Any place on the Coast/Outer Banks...

You can go out at Oregon Inlet just south of Nags Head (North of Ocracoke). But I think you'll find the same speed limits there. And, if you drive on the dunes, you'll be carted off by the authorities. Or shot on sight, I forget which. ;)

Please dont drive like hell on the beach. There are so many eco-nazi groups trying to stop all OHV access that any ammo they can use gets blown way out of proportion. Check out www.obpa.org or the Blue Ribbon Coalition for further details..

Don't jump his shit, I think that's why he's asking, if there are any places like they have out west for high speed dune running..

Am I right, Dontoe?

I think it would be fun for a change...

Every place I've been on the Carolina coast (Ft. Fisher, Carolina Beach, OBX) it's the same. Low speeds and stay away from the dunes. You also have to watch for turtle and birds nests during some seasons.

I think there's a big place where you can play on the dunes out in Michigan (do a search on Silver Lake Dunes, I think). That's probably the closest you're going to find, but I don't know exactly what they're speed rules are.

Jeff

yeah east coast of NC 25mph and no dune running is the name of the game... There use to be a place on Radio Island, but i'm pretty sure its closed since a few people died out there....

If your looking for dune runnin' try the Southern Pines side of Ft. Bragg. They have these huge "drop zones" that they do maneuvers on that have some pretty good sand areas to explore. I have to warn you though, I used to go there back in '84 in my '62 Willys and give it hell and I never had any problems with authorities but that was pre-9/11. My family lives in So. Pines so I'm there often and could guide what I can remember if you want to go. I wouldn't mind checking it out after all these years.

If your looking for dune runnin' try the Southern Pines side of Ft. Bragg. They have these huge "drop zones" that they do maneuvers on that have some pretty good sand areas to explore. I have to warn you though, I used to go there back in '84 in my '62 Willys and give it hell and I never had any problems with authorities but that was pre-9/11. My family lives in So. Pines so I'm there often and could guide what I can remember if you want to go. I wouldn't mind checking it out after all these years.

When I was at Bragg ('04-'05) I ran lots of trails on the Raeford and Spring Lake sides of the base but never saw anything like the Silver Lake sand dunes.. I never went on the Southern Pines side though. I've wheeled on and around a few dropzones and have even been ran off by Rangers doing night training. We didn't know they were there but they definitely new we were there.. they ambushed us! (vehicular ambush) Good thing we were military too. Anyways, I only saw mud and flat sand, nothing dune-like. Tons of fun though..

I can't remember the name of the road that runs from So. Pines to Bragg (Bragg rd or something) but there is a zone called Normandy drop zone on that road that actually had a little elevation change and had some dunes. Granted it's not Kill Devil hill but it is legal to my knowledge. I was scooting down one of the fire break roads once and ran straight into a bunch of tanks dug in with Rambos everywhere. Like you said I didn't realize what I had done until it was too late. They were cool about it though and pointed me in the right directions. You definetly need a map because Bragg is the largest base in the world.

Back