Another XJ...

Bblack26

With my future wife's blessing (18 days till she makes the mistake) we bought an XJ as a project / toy for the family to have some fun. (Like how i sold her on it?). The goal is to build something to take on the trails and do some camping with our little girl. I've had a handful of jeeps and the XJ has been my favorite.

We picked up an XJ with 165k miles, a 2" budget boost, quick disconnects and 31s on stock TJ wheels.

Almost wish i would have done a tune up before i drove it 3.5 hours home....hell, its a 4.0.

New wheels, new (used) bumper - $150 score, some brolights, and rear bumper covers removed. Still need to mount the hanging vacuum canister.

Ordered a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift yesterday, so that should be next. Also on the hunt for a used rear bumper, preferably with a tire carrier. Don't see the point in buying new for an ungodly amount of money. She likes the look of the JK wheels, so may be on the hunt for a used set.

Any advise, tips, or ideas on what would be beneficial please chime in! :beer:

My wife and kids really enjoy the night rides. It’s cooler and usually quieter as well. Nothing hardcore, just the slow roll through the woods. If your girls like it too, I’d spring for a few budget rock lights. If it’s capability you’re looking for, can’t go wrong with a winch.

My wife and kids really enjoy the night rides. It’s cooler and usually quieter as well. Nothing hardcore, just the slow roll through the woods. If your girls like it too, I’d spring for a few budget rock lights. If it’s capability you’re looking for, can’t go wrong with a winch.

I seen a post on one of the forums where someone flush mounted 3” LED pods in his fenders. Really cool idea. Thanks for mentioning! Winch is always good to have.

FF7E7185-B6FF-49A8-9D98-5237A2958180.jpeg

I got a pretty slick deal on a 4 light kit from Rigid Industries. Little pricey, but the LED’s are awesome and my boys think the truck looks BADA$$.

Nice looking xj. Love the color too.

View attachment 256079
I got a pretty slick deal on a 4 light kit from Rigid Industries. Little pricey, but the LED’s are awesome and my boys think the truck looks BADA$$.

That looks really good.

Our Napa guy sold me on the cubes they offer. He went on and on about Napa working a deal with rigid a few years back. I cant say hes wrong, but he cant prove to me he is right. However, two cubes, full harness with inline fuse, relay and switch already together for $83. Hell the $83 is worth me not having to put the harness together.

UPS dropped some goodies to the shop today. Between having a newborn baby, working in and out of town and getting last minute stuff set up for the wedding, let’s find some time to install it! Luckily it’s a spare vehicle.

Most people might say to wait or it's not that big of a deal for a not serious off road XJ but after owning a handful of them I can say that the best "mod" is adding chassis stiffeners. Choose your brand but the extra assurance of not having it stress fracture over time is huge. Everything about the handling mannerisms improves both on and off road. It's kind of like a long term insurance policy. It will keep your investment solid for many years to come for under $200.

Most people might say to wait or it's not that big of a deal for a not serious off road XJ but after owning a handful of them I can say that the best "mod" is adding chassis stiffeners. Choose your brand but the extra assurance of not having it stress fracture over time is huge. Everything about the handling mannerisms improves both on and off road. It's kind of like a long term insurance policy. It will keep your investment solid for many years to come for under $200.

Awesome i will do some reading. I havent welded in awhile so that will be a good time.

Also, I’ve got the 2” leaf and spacers to get rid of. Would it be worth keeping, maybe add to the 3.5” or am I asking for trouble? I know I’ll need more parts for more lift.

Awesome i will do some reading. I havent welded in awhile so that will be a good time.

Also, I’ve got the 2” leaf and spacers to get rid of. Would it be worth keeping, maybe add to the 3.5” or am I asking for trouble? I know I’ll need more parts for more lift.

Run the 3.5” as is. Getting much bigger than that especially by “stacking” lift components can produce crappy geometry in the suspension components leading to a plethora of drivability issues. Also going much higher than 4” I would stongly suggest considering a long arm upgrade. But along those lines are other options to work on in steps. Rear shackle boxes, SYE, brace the steering box.... x,y,z. The list goes on and on lol. It isn’t necessarily just about off-road it also makes a difference in all around handling too. Just my .02

10-4. That’s a little more than I want to get in at this point. Maybe in time, although following all you guys with these monster XJs makes me want to go balls out. Haha

You'd be surprised what an xj with a low lift and 33's with lockers can do. Needs to be properly armored though. Ironman4x4fab is a friend and makes some great parts. HD offroad makes some good stiffeners.

19B42105-39C4-4ADB-A699-D10C16A4B0DC.jpeg
^^ this my last stiffeners were HD off-road. I could flex it as much as it would go and the doors would still open close like it was on flat ground. They plain work. And like @ghost said a simple XJ is impressive to say the least.

That’s some pretty serious flexing. I need to make a list and start checking it off. I’ll end up playing squirrel and buy random parts that catch my eye.

I did mids and front sections. I also had long pieces off the front bumper that came back so it was all kind of tied together. I was going to do the rear but never got around to it cause it was still being debated to link the rear. I sold the Jeep before I could get around to it. Actually it’s for sale again cause dood is having another baby and wife says it has to go. My wife says it left once it’s not coming back just build a new one so no complaints here lol

Another reason to love this forum, so much information. I will probably do it in sections as the whole kit only saves 10%.

Wife and kids have that effect. I built and drifted a 240 for a couple years. I too had to decide on a future wife or a car... I no longer have the car ha!

What are you going to build next?

197dff876a40235e7e2ee40d3a26e473.jpg

8b8a6ac9e4a78aeb15e0237ecb137659.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the steering box brace with frame reinforcing that Ironman makes should go right up their with frame stiffeners IMHO. It really locks the front end together and tightens up the steering play from the box/pitman shaft.

@ghost is absolutely correct. Too many times I see people build an xj, and by all means it’s stout, but then have issues. If you strengthen then build I think it’s a better path to take. Not that I’ve made that mistake before next for me is going to be another ZJ. This time with tons and a 4bt. Why? Because why not.

I'm at 5" with 33s on my 90 4 door. I did a good bit of trimming too. Rear of the front fenders was my big clearance issue area, couldn't turn lock to lock w/o contacting fender at ride height. I moved the stock flares upward on the body about 1.5" and carved out everything inside of the flare. I have had no clearance issues since, even flexed out. I do not love the look of the flares moved up though, will have to reinvestigate that.

Back