Anatomy of a TJ Fuel Pump

YJJPWrangler

I'm trying to adapt a TJ fuel pump/sender assembly to work with my TBI 4.3. The TJ pump puts out 40+ psi whereas the TBI unit only needs 12. I've seen videos where LS swaps will just pull out the pump and replace it with a higher flow unit so it "should" work with a lower flow unit.

TJ pump on the left and 91 S10 Blazer pump on the right

1668695290027.png

I've already confirmed that the S10 pump will fit inside the sender. I'll probably ditch the plastic line in favor of a gas hose with clamps.

1668695438439.png

1668695324342.png

The TJ fuel pump has a port that this black line connects to. Is it some kind of initial pickup in addition to the main pickup on the pump body? The S10 pump I have does not have a port for this, is it necessary?

Lastly, the strainer for the S10 Blazer fits onto the body of the sender and the pump housing. The TJ strainer fits directly onto the pump housing and there is an additional one on the bottom of the can. Right now I have no way of securing the strainer to the bottom of the S10 pump outside of JB welding it etc. Any thoughts?

If none of this will work, I'll go to a inline fuel regulator. The only reason I'm not right now is I'm trying to minimize splices etc in the fuel system and have a cleaner look to it.

Back