AMC 20 1pc ?s

jeepn-jason

AMC 20 1pc ?s PICS ADDED, PLEASE HELP

I bought a set of used 1pc axles and was wondering if anyone knew if all 1pc shafts use the same bearings. I have no idea what brand these shafts are. Will factory 2 pc bearings be the same? Thanks Jason

Not certain if they are the same, but, I'm thinking no. do yor used 1 pieces still have the bearings on them? if so, you should be able to get a part number off of them.

Yeah they still have the bearings Ill check for a number on them.

Got the bearings taken care of and now the shafts wont fit. The Bearing retainer on the 1pc shafts will not fit inside of the tube seals on the outer part of the axle. Does anybody know what seals to use, or have any part number I could use.

friend at a parts store and dial calipers will be your friend. Or call up the maker of the axles and tell em what year jeep you have and order the seals

the plates you are using as bearing retainers are also the outer seals correct ?

If I remember correctly, you have to put these plates on the axle shaft first, then press the bearing and retaining collar on the shaft all at one time. Make damn sure the bearings are fully seated on the shaft as well.

I think there is also a seal that fits inside the tube backward just inside the bearing race, keeps the gear lube out of the bearing, which is supposed to be packed with wheel bearing grease. ( this is how the Superior one peice axles are set up anyway ) The outer retaining plate doesn't seal well enough to keep liquid lube in

Keep in mind also, there is a spacer between the side gears in the diff carrier that will probably have to be removed (knock out roll pin, slide cross shaft out, pull spacer, reassemble) or the shafts will not fit in either.

Been awhile since I've done a one peice axle conversion, but I beleive this is how it works. I'll see if I can dig up the instructions.

pic of order of assembly

Kevin

It is the seal inside the tubes. The I.D. of the seal is not large enough to let the bearing retainer slip inside of it. I tryed Advanced Auto today but no one there knows how to open a book. I will be trying an industrial supply house tommorow,to see what I can find. Also is it a common thing on this conversion to have to take the spacer out of the carrier as Blkvoodoo was saying. The shafts slid all the way in with the oe seals out of the way so I didnt think that would be an issue.

check the link I added, there is a pic of the parts in order of install. something may be out of place

There shouldn't be a seal other than what is on the retainer plate outside the bearing at the flange

Kevin

There is a seal inside the tube of the housing, this is the one I need. My shafts have a bearing retainer that slips into the seal halfway. I have no idea what brand these shafts are and that is complicating things alot worse. I will see what I can find in the morning. Thanks for the quick replys fellas. Jason

OK finally got the seals taken care of, and still cant get this thing right. Now the shafts will slide all the way in the carrier, and I can bolt the four bolts up. My problem is something in the bearing. I have way too much play in the hub. It seems as if the bearing retainer is not slid all the way in place and the bearing will not go all the way in the race. I have printed instructions from Yukon and Superior, and still cant really tell what the hell I have done wrong. I am going to carry the shafts back to the machine shop to see if the bearing retainers will move closer to the hub. Maybe that will tighten up the bearing and race. ???? If ya have any suggestions, please let me know Thanks Jason

If there was anyway yuo could get us clear picturs it would be most beneficial.
Several of us have done this install many times over, w/o the pictures it is difficult to give you good advice.

If teh bearins is on the shaft the right direction and teh retainer ring is up against teh bearing, then it's on. inside the housing you should have a spacer ring a seal and the race. like said.. can you get us pictures?

Yeah ill try to get some pics up tonite. I know this should be a straight foward deal, I dont know what the heck I have done wrong. I guess thats what I get for trying to polish a turd.

:beer: Sorry my digi. cam is MIA right now, so Ill get some pics hopefully this weekend. I did print some instructions from superior and yukon, and my shafts are different, they show a bearing spacer that is installed into the housing, I dont have this. Also from what I can tell the bearings they use dont have a race around them?? My shafts has only a reatainer that is pressed against the bearing and race. Ill def. get some pics soon, cause i need some help. :beer:

Here are some pics of what I have, I hope this helps.

One more of the inside of the housing.

It appears to me that you have two lock rings behind the bearing whereas there is usually only one. The extra length of the second lock collar probably is keeping the axle from seating. Also all of the 1 piece axles that I have installed have had bearings that are not seperate from their races. You can order new bearing kits that have the proper bearings, seals and a new lock collar. I can get them from Crown Automotive.

Will the crown bearings work on any axle or will i need to measure these shafts to make sure?

Back