Aluminum drag link

Noel

Wanted to see others opinions. Brand new aluminum 7075 t6 drag link, first trip out. Basically first trail of the day. Took a good bump to the front. Didn’t think anything of it. Get out of the jeep and bam it’s bent to shit, twice as bad as the old dom one. No rebound or memory. I know it’s possible to bend these and links but just seems this is out of character for the material. From a local vendor we all use….. so I’m gonna see what they say. Pic doesn’t show how bad it really is. My aluminum links I installed at the same time held up to plenty of abuse on the trails.

Attachments

• IMG_5927.jpeg
    IMG_5927.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 66
I have never been sold on the aluminum steering links. Is it possible that your ram bent it, or helped bend it?

I have not bent my aluminum tie rod yet. I abuse the crap out of it as I'm running it not flipped on a JK. The DOM one lasted about 3 months.

I'm surprised to see that one bend permanently.

I have never been sold on the aluminum steering links. Is it possible that your ram bent it, or helped bend it?
Nah definitely a smack to it… much less than the links took the rest of the time though.
I have not bent my aluminum tie rod yet. I abuse the crap out of it as I'm running it not flipped on a JK. The DOM one lasted about 3 months.

I'm surprised to see that one bend permanently.
First hit and boom! It is also kinda out there to be hit, but figured it would take some abuse. My dom didn’t last either. But would have been cheaper to go back steel again

Aluminum has a plastic deformation limit just like everything else, push it far enough and it's not going to come back.
I've never understood these "magic" aluminum links that "spring back". But I also am not well versed in the science of metals.

I've never understood these "magic" aluminum links that "spring back". But I also am not well versed in the science of metals.
Agreed but have watched many buggies run them. Can watch the vehicle land one them, horseshoe and spring right back

I ran a solid tie rod on my buggy with no issues, think it was 1.25. That was with Ried knuckles & C’s, might be leery of doing that with factory stuff for obvious reasons.

Aluminum has a plastic deformation limit just like everything else, push it far enough and it's not going to come back.
Looks at Derek :dumbass:

The old 2-1/4" link compared to the new 2.5"

IMG-20231015-WA0003.jpg

Back