Alternator dying...

rbo1577186

I'm pretty sure my alernator is going bad, so................(98 TJ 4.0)

I got a dixie horn, 6 off road lights, and a cb (still in the box), I think the factory alt puts out 90 amps. I found one at Advance that puts out 120. Anyone got any other suggestions/expirience with a particular make/ know of a higher output alt?

Would anything like that work on a 88 YJ? Mines a bone stock whatever it is and I am planning on adding a few lights a winch and saving up for a ready welder. Or should I just fork out the extra $$$ and get a good aftermarket Alt.?

I have an after market 160 amp one wire alternator. If doing it again, I would rethink this. Just in case it goes out, I have to keep the original wiring there. For practical purposes, I think adding a battery would better suit your needs. You won't be running the lights all that often. so when winching, another battery will do you better than a higher amp alternator. IMHO

upnover said:
I have an after market 160 amp one wire alternator. If doing it again, I would rethink this. Just in case it goes out, I have to keep the original wiring there. For practical purposes, I think adding a battery would better suit your needs. You won't be running the lights all that often. so when winching, another battery will do you better than a higher amp alternator. IMHO

Agreed on the second battery -
Even a HO alternator, won't keep pace with a real heavy draw.
It will just help recharge faster. (And there is even a debate about this that I won't get into)
The second battery is really the answer if you are running a lot of accessories.

Chip -
Just curious.
Other than availability of a replacement unit in BFE...
why would you NOT go the one wire route again?
I have run one wire alternators on rigs for years with good luck.

Anything to do with running the welder?
Or just personal preference?

Back