Adding A/C

sqlhawkn

Noob Question but if I don't ask then I will never know the answer but....

Can you add A/C to a truck that didn't orignally come with it. The truck is a 1978 Chevy.

SURE, you can add it, easiest way would be to find a truck with all the controls and swap to yours, but there are also after market kits available.
Might even be able to find NOS (New Old Stock) at an OLDER dealership, but that could be a long shot.

The kits are out there, just need to figure out how much you want to spend.

A/C

thanks for the info. are there any reputable companies that anyone has dealt with? or is there anywhere around the Triangle that does this type of work?

hey man go to pullapart.com they have lots of chevys with a/c and its like 100 for the whole setup all you got to do is pull it yourself.

My truck is a Cheyenne model and didnt even come with any dash vents. If I do get a used system do you all think I will need to replace my dash to one that has the air vents? Or is there some way to make my own vents in the dash without making a mess?

if i remeber right cuz i had an 1981 custom deluxe "no air, no nothing", the only vents that are missing are the one on the passenger side and the one that is high on the dash. the passernger side is and easy fix because on no a/c trucks they just put a solid filler piece to cover up the holes so grab the filler piece from the donor and the driver side dash one just grab the dask bezel from the doner too. But u dont need to swap the whole dash out or anything like that. Pull-a-part lets u go in and get what u need so as you grab the other stuff grab those parts too.

pics

heres what im talking about
429722182.201004902.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

well.....its not as easy as the pics make it look either...

Not very difficult,, but you will need the ducts, supports plenum, etc...

Yes you can convert a non-AC to an A/C truck have done it 2 times.

First time did conversion, when we did a truck a year later for BIL we went and bought an AC cab....

TO ME (let the flame war begin) it is much easy to unbolt and swap acab than all the headstands and cramped duct work ...and easier to get better results...

well yea i kind off figured he would need more than just vents, i was just answering the question about hack of the dash, but i would agree that i would much rather ubolt like 6 bolts and switch cabs than try to get all that crap run and figure out all the wiring. can you say headache!!!!!

Back