AC system

mbalbritton

#@$%!
in my investigation of motor swaps, I’ve seen some good options on 4.0’s from XJs and ZJs. One of the “to do” items from the wife is to install AC.

If I find a good donor I can pull the compressor, condenser, dryer, expansion valve, hoses… leaving me with the exchanger and how to fit it in the cabin and connecting it. Any thoughts or experience?

Is it as simple as adapting to a head unit like this:

I have a complete setup out of a yj that I bought out of a junk yard. It's pretty simple. Put the condenser in front of the rad, mount the compressor (will need the bracket), the dryer and pressure switch are mounted together if I remember right, and the evaporator is in the duct work thing that just bolts to the bottom of the dash. There's a knock out plate on the passenger side floor that the two lines go through.

The fan and thermostat switch are on the duct work thing that mounts under the dash. And the fuse block has the fuse for the AC system. Run power to the fan and hookup the pressure switch and ac clutch and you've got ac.

Realistically I'll have to replace the dryer and all the seals and figure out a bracket for the compressor. But all in you can buy the same thing brand new from vintage air for about a grand.

But all in you can buy the same thing brand new from vintage air for about a grand.
This. I spent some time scrounging junkyards to piece together an ac for my daughter's tj that didn't not come with factory air. Time vs money, I went with a brand new jeep air (same company as vintage air) system. I made several calls to them for tech questions before receiving the kit and once after and man are they on point for customer service. It's a family run company and I spoke to the same person every time and she knew my order and application. I was told they can build about anything regardless of engine swaps and years of different equipment and even make partial kits if you already have some of the hard parts. 3rd summer coming up on that install and it's still working perfectly.

Back