Abandoned Car?

Seeing Red Again

Anyone know how to go about getting a title to an automobile that has been abandoned on your company's property? I have a early to mid 80's Camaro that has been abandoned here for over a year and one of my emloyees wants it. I'd love to tell him to haul it off, but then he won't have a title.

Any ideas as to what I need to do?

i think you have to advertise in the paper and take out a lein of sorts... never had to do it though

You'd have to do a title search, then get title insurance (which should cost around $100-150), and then you can get a title from the DMV.

That's the procedure I was told to do by the DMV when I wanted a title for a frame I had...

You'd have to do a title search, then get title insurance (which should cost around $100-150), and then you can get a title from the DMV.
That's the procedure I was told to do by the DMV when I wanted a title for a frame I had...

Yeah thats called an Indemnity Bond. It is a real pain in the arse and comes with a lot of beaurocracy and paperwork. You could file alein based on the storage owed to you for being on your property. It costs about the same if you have to go to court,about 50-100 if you dont. Go down to your local courthouse to file.

OR

There are more creative ways to get around this too, for instance did you know that in Georgia they dont even use titles? If you were to happen to buy a vehicle in Georgia you would arrive in NC with a bill of sale and a signed registration from the PO from GA. NC would then register the vehicle in your name and your title appears in a couple weeks. It's even easer to register one in Georgia.

This would not work if your vehicle is stolen, salvaged in this state, or has an existing lein in this state. I might add that this is also very legal.

if the car is still there, i'd at least remove it.. To a more secure spot, it for its own safty, hate for a vandal to wreck it now.. Then if someones suspisions are raised they would also need to follow a similer process (without knowing the location of the car)

Technically, anyone could do what you are about to do.. Worst case any one with dishonest intentions could step forward with a fordge signature and be done with it..

Plus by moving it to a 'storage' location you can then recoup the costs.. Collecting storage fees only works if its a known policy, like the tow away signs etc.. or other wise on a work order etc..

Back