A/C issue

mbalbritton

#@$%!
So on the drive down to Florida for a weeks vacation in the '09 Honda Accord, the AC went hot on us. Had been running highway speeds and got down into Georgia when the temp kept getting warming.

Stopped and grabbed a can of r314a and dumped it into the system. Nothing changed. I did notice the gauge on the can would go up after holding the trigger then drop. Like it had a big ole leak somewhere.

Just took it to the shop and the guy said I'm lucky the system didn't blow. It was pushing about 450lbs of pressure. Apparently there was no leak.

He evacuated the system and refilled it. All is good now.

WTF would cause me to loose cooling in the first place?

I would pick up a compressor relay first. Its in the fuse box under the hood labeled with a picture of a snowflake. I see a lot of those go bad. We always replace them when we do any a/c work on the newer hondas. Shouldnt cost more than $20

I would pick up a compressor relay first. Its in the fuse box under the hood labeled with a picture of a snowflake. I see a lot of those go bad. We always replace them when we do any a/c work on the newer hondas. Shouldnt cost more than $20

Beat me to it!!

Yes. Both they relay and compressor clutch/coil can be intermittent. We keep at least 10 relays in stock. When a customer complains about a/c cooling great then not at all a lot of the times we can let them run for an hour and not see a problem. Its easy and cheap. Definately worth changing. If you still have problems its probably going to be compressor clutch/coil.

Back