99 Chevy short bed crew cab, fuel tank.

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
I have looked and it gives me two choices as far as volume, 22 gallon and (I think) 44 gallon. It gives no info on what it will or will not fit.
I want,...I NEED, a larger fuel tank. It really sucks pulling my full trailer, about 12k pounds, and a very thirsty 454 will only a 22 gallon tank. Making it necessary to have to stop every 120-130 miles, to refill.
I could put a fuel cell in the truck bed, but... I have it set up to be my sleeping quarters. So, that's out !
Has anyone have had the experience putting a 44 gallon tank in a short bed one ton Chevy crew cab 4WD truck?

I have looked and it gives me two choices as far as volume, 22 gallon and (I think) 44 gallon. It gives no info on what it will or will not fit.
I want,...I NEED, a larger fuel tank. It really sucks pulling my full trailer, about 12k pounds, and a very thirsty 454 will only a 22 gallon tank. Making it necessary to have to stop every 120-130 miles, to refill.
I could put a fuel cell in the truck bed, but... I have it set up to be my sleeping quarters. So, that's out !
Has anyone have had the experience putting a 44 gallon tank in a short bed one ton Chevy crew cab 4WD truck?
Whew that’s some rough fuel mileage! Look into titan tanks

Might be able to add a second fuel tank at the rear. Maybe a Tahoe or Suburban tank could be made to work.

Titan fuel tanks doesn't offer anything for the GMT400 platform, I called them some time ago to see if they offered anything that fit and they unfortunately didn't. I debated a UWS transfer tank for a long time, but gas trucks have stricter rules about auxiliary tanks compared to diesels.

If you can find one, the cab and chassis trucks came with factory dual tanks, I've mulled the idea around of adding a Tahoe tank where my spare tire was and installing the factory dual tank set up. All it does it transfers fuel from the rear tank to the main tank, but there's a C&C specific fuel pump I believe that has the float to trigger the auxiliary tank. Could carry a marine fuel tank with a gas pump?
DuraMax Plastic Fuel Tank

I've just resigned to just dealing with the fuel consumption. Although my ECSB K2500 managed to eek out 10MPG going down to Mrytle Beach last spring pulling my 7K pound camper running 55-60. I probably would have made it to Ocean Lakes Campground on one tank but I didn't want to push it.

Removing the spare tire and replacing it with a 42 gallon suburban tank would be the cheapest/easiest option. Could utilize factory straps with minimal fab work and extending the factory fuel Lines. Your old sending unit and pump might even bolt in.

Out of all th suggestions, I think the "Burban" tank would be my best option, Wondering though, if I hooked it to my existing tank, with a manual switch to pump it to the factory tank. I'm guessing I'd need a check valve, to the main tank wouldn't push fuel to the rear. Fuel gauge shows low, hit the switch to turn on the rear tank, watch the fuel gauge hit's full, turn off the switch. Doing this would basically give me triple my fuel capacity. So one stop and have three tanks of fuel. I could also wire in a fule guage for the real tank too. I like this option.

Back