97 Chevy 5.7 stumbling

R Q

My pickup, stumbles all over itself at and coming off idle until it reaches about 1500- 2000 rpm. I just did a complete tune up with wires, cap, rotor, plugs. It helped a little but there is still an issue. The exhaust is foul and strong, but the cats are gutted so its not stopped up. I have not been to Autozone yet to run the OBD scanner on it but hopefully will today.
I heard a while back that there is something plastic in the distributor that wears out and causes idle issues?
Has anyone had this same issue and solved it?
Thanks,
RQ

Maybe just check for a plain old vacuum leak. Below is a tip to maybe try to isolate what region to check out. Does it run fine at higher rpm's?
Connect the vac gauge to manifold vac. The brake booster hose is usually the best spot to connect. Start the engine the reading should be 18-21 and steady. If the needle is bouncing with the miss then the problem is internal in the engine, valve lifter,worn cam,etc..If the reading is low then you most likely have a ignition or valve timing problem. Next rev the engine up quickly to around 3500 and hold it. Vac should drop down quickly then come right back up to around where it was. If it goes down and stays down or comes back up really slowly you most likely have a exhaust restriction

Back