9" vs. D60

StokesCo.94HB

Aight heres the deal, i need some opinions, i have a 94 Nissan X-cab Pickup, going full width and SAS, i have both a Ford 9" and a rear D60 axle. im trying to decide which one to run. I plan on running 35's more than likely, Maybe 37's at the largest, itll still be a DD, I plan on using a HP D44 up front, which axle would yall run in the rear.

Im leaning toward the 9" for ground clearance and weight issues, but i also know the D60 is a little stronger stock than the 9", Let me Know what yall think.

The D60 is stronger.

If I knew I would saty 35s Id probably go with the 9" for weight (and ease of set up).

If I planned on ever upgrading Id go BEEF

I'd say the front dana lug pattern would be a good deciding factor. 8 lug or 5 lug? Both should handle 35's with the 60 being a tad heavier but considering the cost of trying to convert a 9 into 8 lug!

My 2

yeah the way i figure is itll be alot better clearance with the 9, prob cheaper on gear setup, and i know itll be at least a couple of yrs before i up grade, being poor and in college, itll be a while till i can save up for a Ford D60 for the front. also i im concerned that if i go 3/4 ton or more ill run into issues with my stock brakes (master cylinder, booster) not being powerfull enough

See thats why im asking, i havent bought the Front yet, so i can buy either, 5 or 8 lug, cause ive already got both rears i can go either way. im weighing my options

the d60 is only marginally stronger in stock form, the 9" can be made WAY stronger than the d60 with a lot less cash. 1500hp drag cars don't run d60s.

this is very true, but why do as many people run 6o rears if 9" can be stronger, lighter and all with better clearance? Anyhow, back to the point, For my application which would be more benifitial.

the d60 is only marginally stronger in stock form, the 9" can be made WAY stronger than the d60 with a lot less cash. 1500hp drag cars don't run d60s.

Oh but Contrare Mofrare! Dana 60's is quite common among the die hards. The 9 is just easier for gear swaps for the ones that are undecided on their setups. That being the case that I noticed at Benson/Dunn Dragstrip last Summer. I saw that it was common that some of the Big Dogs had narrowed 60's. Alot of the 4 sec door slammers had 60's.
Also after going to Winnabow for the Flat Sand Rail drag races last Summer I noticed about 75% run narrowed D60's.
This all being pure speculation... I know the 9 has aftermarket out the ying yang but 60's are still common. My gear dude drag races and he swears by his 60.
It's all on personnal preference but I would think either would Git-er-done!

this is very true, but why do as many people run 6o rears if 9" can be stronger, lighter and all with better clearance?

Sheep? ("Mike's got a 60, Dave's got a 60, guess I need a 60")Or they got it as a package with a 60 front? easier to find? Who knows.

Your typical 60 housing is probably stronger, but I'd build the 9, since the slightly lower pinion won't be an issue. For the time being, find one with 31 spline shafts, and you'll be in better shape overall than the 60, and you're sure to find 5-lugs that will match with what's more commonly available in a front 44.

60's will mostly all be full width, whereas 9's came in all flavors.

Bottom line - removable third members rule. SOOO much easier to do ANYTHING. No worries about welding to cast if you go 4 link. No diff covers to leak...

the 9 i have is a big bearing, pretty sure its a 31 spline(havent pulled shafts) and its 67", so i think its got the 5 lug pattern to match the D44.

Oh but Contrare Mofrare! Dana 60's is quite common among the die hards. The 9 is just easier for gear swaps for the ones that are undecided on their setups. That being the case that I noticed at Benson/Dunn Dragstrip last Summer. I saw that it was common that some of the Big Dogs had narrowed 60's. Alot of the 4 sec door slammers had 60's.
Also after going to Winnabow for the Flat Sand Rail drag races last Summer I noticed about 75% run narrowed D60's.
This all being pure speculation... I know the 9 has aftermarket out the ying yang but 60's are still common. My gear dude drag races and he swears by his 60.
It's all on personnal preference but I would think either would Git-er-done!
agreed....but I'd be willing to bet the masses at the drag strip run 9" for ease of gear change,strength, and availiblity.

Go 9"

The 60 is stout, but you are going to be kicking yourself in the ass trying to swap a standard 5-lug d44hp to 8-lug (the 5's are sooo much easier to find). I had to buy a damn donor HD d44 to do mine. (Had to swap Caliper brackets/spindles/hubs..none of which are easily found alone)

For that reason alone I would go 9". If you were running a fullsize truck, I might suggest the 60, but you are going to be pretty lightweight.

yeah the 9 i have is a big bearing, pretty sure its a 31 spline(havent pulled shafts) and its 67", so i think its got the 5 lug pattern to match the D44.

Well hell, run that bitch! :bounce:

Go 9"

The 60 is stout, but you are going to be kicking yourself in the ass trying to swap a standard 5-lug d44hp to 8-lug (the 5's are sooo much easier to find). I had to buy a damn donor HD d44 to do mine. (Had to swap Caliper brackets/spindles/hubs..none of which are easily found alone)

For that reason alone I would go 9". If you were running a fullsize truck, I might suggest the 60, but you are going to be pretty lightweight.

I havent bought the D44 yet though, and i know a place that has either one, five lug or 8, so i could go either way pretty easily

For what you are building, I'd go with the 9". Pinion angle won't ba an issue with your wheelbase. Will be a lot cheaper to get a matching front.

Well hell, run that bitch! :bounce:
Im agreeing with Rich on the 9", but id still like some other opinions, negitive or positive about either axle, im an Indecisive, Hard headed, stubborn SOB :flipoff2: , i cant decide so im hoping yall can do it for me.

You also need to look at, if you need flat top knuckles for your steering. I have a 2000 WJ Grand Cherokee and I have a D44HP and a 9" rear. I need flat top knuckles because I am going with hi-steer. So I will have to use Chevy outters with a Ford hub and rotor. Why do all that when I could just go 8 lug D44/60. Easy I PM'ed Andy from Carolina Rock Shop and he told me the best set up will be the D44HP/9inch. If you are that indecisive call or PM Andy (zubz). Andy is awsome and will help you out, he is putting up with all my questions and he already knows that I cannot start my build till Feb 2008. This is because I am heading back to the Middle East next March.

If all else fails talk to the expert who builds rigs for their living.

Built Dana 60 is a boat anchor compared a built 9 inch. Higher clearance, lighter, easier to weld link tabs, and last time I checked, nobody's using their Jeep to haul 3/4 ton of anything...

I've got a 9" and the only advantage to the D60 I can see is that its full float. But even the 9" has available conversions (from warn and others) to make it full float. I tilted the pinion up on my nine and shaved the bottom edge. I've got great clearance on it. I have considered a beefier axle in the rear just to match a front 60 in width and bolt pattern, but if I upgrade I'd probably move up in tire size and look for a dana 70 or 14 bolt and bypass the 60 rear.

go with a 9
if you later think you should have gone with a 60 just weld a 1.5in sguare tube to the bottom for a clearance reminder.

go with a 9
if you later think you should have gone with a 60 just weld a 1.5in sguare tube to the bottom for a clearance reminder.

:lol:

9" are the easiest to swap gears into, bringing the 3rd member will save you money at a shop for 1.

The guts of a 9" are quite a decent bit stouter than the 60's, and combined with the higher ground clearance and ease of upgrades I'd say go 9" for sure.

Back