88 F150 Rear axle swap

94 yj

I have an 1988 F150 long bed with a 300-6 cylinder and I want 4:11 gears without swaping ring and pinion. What other axles will bolt straight up to my RIG to do what I want

I have an 1988 F150 long bed with a 300-6 cylinder and I want 4:11 gears without swaping ring and pinion. What other axles will bolt straight up to my RIG to do what I want
any ford axle will bolt in. only problem is you will only find 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles geared 4.11 or 4.10 which means 8 lug wheels and a shorter drive shaft.
you can find ford 9" rears that have been swapped to 4.11 but they wont be very cheap. my advice would be to buy a new 4.11 gear set for your axle which is probably an 8.8 and pay someone to professionally install them. the end cost will be close to the same as buying used stuff and yours will be all brand new and setup correctly . my2cents.

IIRC the 9" wont hook up correctly in place of the 8.8 because of the vehicle speed sensor.... or at least it wont on my 93

any ford axle will bolt in. only problem is you will only find 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles geared 4.11 or 4.10

That's not true. 4.10 was a factory option for half ton trucks. I used to own one.

A 9" will also swap if he can find one. He doesn't need the VSS sensor. It's only for ABS, which was garbage in those years anyway. Remove the hydraulic control valve from the rear brake line (DS frame below the brake MC) and remove the RABS computer from the firewall in the cab.

That's not true. 4.10 was a factory option for half ton trucks.
i didnt say they didnt make them. im saying its goinbg to be hard to find one. its easier to find one in a one ton is what im getting at. i had a 79 bronco ages ago that was factory 4.10 with a 9" rear.

A 9" will also swap if he can find one. He doesn't need the VSS sensor. It's only for ABS, which was garbage in those years anyway. Remove the hydraulic control valve from the rear brake line (DS frame below the brake MC) and remove the RABS computer from the firewall in the cab.

Depends on the transmission...the VSS in my rear axle tells my computer when to shift the transmission (E4od). Without that sensor the truck bucks pretty bad when shifting

Depends on the transmission...the VSS in my rear axle tells my computer when to shift the transmission (E4od). Without that sensor the truck bucks pretty bad when shifting

Only on 92+ trucks. 91 and earlier get vehicle speed from the sensor on the speedo cable, located either in the transmission or the tcase (4wd or 2wd).

The transmission has nothing to do with it.

My truck is a manual trany and has 3.08 gears i just found out...any idea on gear ratio I need...I will be pulling a car trailer with a 83 CJ7 on it Longest distance is maybe 3 hrs...I just want a little more power to the ground??????:driver:

I regeared the Ford 8.8 I put in my YJ several years ago. It was my first attempt at regearing an axle and it wasn't that bad. You'll need a couple things like a press and a dial indicator, but if you buy the tools you'll always have them! If you do it yourself, spend the extra money to buy setup bearings. You'll use them to set up the gears, then you take the setup bearings off and put the real ones on.

Back