87 yj -> (x,z,y)j

a_kelley

mechanical fixer
Here's my project.. a 87 yj, converting to 4.0 ho. Not sure if it will end up with a 42rh or a aw4. May end up on 78 power wagon d44/d60 4.10s if it's the right price. I'm going to try to get it up and running with the stock suspension for the eighth of October so I can take my sister off road. At least my winch is cradled and only need to add a receiver tube to mount it, as well as electrical connectors. Reason for ditching the 4.2 is for fuel injection. I lack there patience to deal with a carb. Yes i can get them set up but you still have vapor lock issues and hot restart problems. Ethanol didn't improve any existing carb issues either. Plus it leaks oil and trans fluid like a sieve. Keeping hard top, intending to add cruise, overhead console with information center out of zj, xzj front suspension, maybe zj rear or xj, hadn't decided. Estimated lift is 5.5" over stock with the coil conversion. Was thinking xj-esque front coil, rear leaf might be a good compromise. Drove a jk with mostly stock arms and 6" lift and 35's, I'll keep my xj and zj at 3" or less, the loss of ride quality isn't worth it in my opinion. . My vehicles see mostly street and this yj will be entered in a drive to maine cheap car contest(requirements: <700 vehicle, <700 repairs, and roll there and back, first one to complete wins, second and third place too. Prizes TBD. Produced by brave (or stupid) my choice parts house employees and local mechanics. At minimum, trophies, max might be entry fee pool to first place and trophy's or gift cards. Open to anyone who wants to enter, labor not included on cost of repairs, since most of us turn our own wrenches. Date is TBD but will be sometime next year.. maybe that deserves its own thread... My Jeep will roll with a basically complete service kit and will be willing to help others with issues on the trip.. doing mobile service has its benefits of knowing what you can do with a limited tool set without having a shop to work in. :) ) Pm or if there is enough interest I'll start a thread for the Maine adventure. Me and the wife were thinking it'd be awesome to take and drop our kids at my parents in Mass and take a few days and then head back down. I'm almost certain my wrangler will be probably the most vetted vehicle in the trip considering I'm only into it for $1200 including Jeep and donor vehicles. I don't care that the donor motor and trans had 210k, they didn't smoke knock or shift sloppy. That counts more to me than what a number counting ticker does.
To anyone interested in entering the Maine and back adventure can pm me and can fill to in, perhaps get a thread going for it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160426_064614629.jpg
    IMG_20160426_064614629.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Pulled it into the car port. Started preparing to pull the powertrain and drivetrain.
IMG_20170115_221054.jpg

See anything wrong in the picture below, aside from the axle that's been removed?

IMG_20170117_005746.jpg

If you said broken shackle mounts, you saw it. Kid was driving like that on the road before it became mine. :eek: no wonder it wandered. Some people haven't got any sense at all.

Xj axle stuck under the front for visualization purposes. I found another fellow that put a xj/TJ axle in a yj and used custom control arms. Lost the link though but saved a pic or two. My estimation is that the lowers will end up around 22-24" based on where it's sitting now.
IMG_20170117_232946.jpg
IMG_20170117_233530.jpg

And images I found of the other fellow's conversion.
DCP_1061.jpg
DCP_1059.jpg

I'm thinking of using bushings on the control arms with 2.5” .25 HREW tube for the lowers and 1.75" .25 HREW for the uppers. Stock Cherokee bushings lasted for over twenty years, and this yj will see plenty of streets, so I think bushings will offer a better ride and durability. I don't see heims or cartridge joints lasting very well on the road. End goal is 33s, ; about 6" lift over stock, that way I can flip the rear perches and leave the leafs in back, after reading some about tjs lifting front wheels. Hope to get a xj like ride, comfortable, yet firm.

Last edited:
More or less figured out lift height. End up about 24" at the top of the front bumper and 25" at the rear. (5" over stock? Forgot to measure it prior to pulling the front axle, anyone know?) Puts the stock belly pan at 13.5". Intending to flip the springs in the rear to SOA and mount the xj coils up front wherever they land to level the lift. Intending for it to be about 5-6".

IMG_20170120_003332.jpg

Decided to ditch the land rover radius arms since they hang too low and would require more fab than simply making four control arms. LCA length looks like it will end up about at 20", which is 4.25" longer than stock xj LCA. Planning on reusing the yj shocks as they are still good, 8" of travel. Comments welcome, this is my first build of this type of sort. Planning on 2x2 .25 sq tube for arms with stock bushings in pipe at the ends to keep within my tiny budget.

Attachments

• IMG_20170120_003256.jpg
    IMG_20170120_003256.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 346
Now before anyone sees the pictures: these are for temporary use! I intend to make arms on of 2" quarter wall square or round, whatever I happen to get, with stock bushings. Well if I manage to get it going before Feb 4th, I'll shake it down at the SHOP.

OK that said, feel free to critique my welds. I'm not certified or anything just owned my cheap HF 90a AC fcaw welder a few years. Wore the tensioner out actually. Rigged it up and been continuing to burn wire.

One complete, three more to go.

IMG_20170121_215809.jpg
IMG_20170121_215830.jpg
IMG_20170121_215845.jpg

Hindsight says it would have been better to angle cut the ends. Oh well. I can't claim the idea. Credit where credit due to Mr Fuller. @marty79

Got the next one almost done.
IMG_20170121_224510.jpg
IMG_20170121_224713.jpg

Yeah the cold start in the middle, too much paint smoke from the inside, should've put a fan on.

Last edited:
Well, got a little work done on it. Fabbed one of the LCAs. One more to go. LCA ended up at 19.75". Uppers will be 18.75". Mounts need to be moved back to accommodate the longer UCA. Oh well, at least I didn't finish putting gussets on them. Uppers and lowers will be 2" .25 wall square tube with factory xzj bushings and leaf rear mounts. I think it will work just fine. The lowers are also offset at the axle end to prevent it hitting the shock mount. I'll probably have to notch the frame to clear the coils since coil overs aren't in the budget yet. This setup will come out anyway when it gets a 44/60 with 4.10. I have a 42re from a zj I may use for the auto, or I might grab a aw4 to put in it. I'd rather have the aw4. Going to need a shorty SYE either way.
IMG_20170206_234939.jpg

Last edited:
Got the other LCA done. Went to start on the uppers and realized 2x2 won't work for a link since the bushing is narrower. Guess I'm going to get some 1.5 sq tube tomorrow. I'm not making new upper link brackets to use a bigger bushing with the 2". Those took way too long to make without a drill press. Oh and the new lowers are 250% stouter than the stock lowers. This gal should handle great on road. I'll flex it out once I've got the uppers and track bar in and see how much I can get out of it. Shooting for 4-5" up and 5-6” down. It ought at least match a stock txzj front.

Well I figured out the uppers. Still going to use 2x2 with stock bushings but I'm going to narrow the 2x2 to 2x1.5 to clear my frame bracket. Was doing doing some cleaning and found a set of injectors off the same car the charger came from.. looked then up and they are 34lb/hr. Yay. They'll flow enough to accommodate the 6-12 psi I plan to run it. And the harness had nice injector connectors with push to release clips instead of the ones that are a pain to remove. Hoping to get my uppers done tomorrow along with track bar and notching the frame for the spring. I'm wanting somewhat sofi coils and about 5" over stock.. I think xj coils will do the trick since I'm putting in custom mounts on the frame but I'd rather a longer softer coil to get more flex out of it but I'll settle for stock xj front articulation for the time being.

Got the other upper mount burned in and the upper link made... Progress... Next track bar and steering and coils and shocks... Looks like the xj axle mounts are assymetric since the axle is centered under the frame... Motor mounts aren't symmetric either. Huh.
IMG_20170327_212510.jpg

It's been a minute since I worked on my yj. It sits just as pictured in the last picture.. except it's much moldier and dirtier. I started working on the wiring/ECU.. ECU is chipped and should be flashable.. I just need to write the software to make it happen. I still need to finish welding the UCA mounts and gussets.. then the motor can be installed, as well as the trans / TC and figure out shift linkage, shafts, and cross member/skid.. shooting for a flat belly. Probably should add this 1" body lift to help clear floor pans. Oh I suppose I need to build the motor before I put it in. 4.6 stroker is the plan.. and after it's broken in, as Eaton m90. (Thus the flashable ecu). Going with aw4 trans.

Back