'87 YJ w/6cyl 4.2 firing order

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y119_cj777_firingorder.jpg

I appreciate the info Brian, gotta change the distributor and just wanted to be sure.
Hey Dano, hope your not changing it to H.E.I. Not that this would be A bad thing. It's just that the "Team Rush" upgrade, doesn't require the removal of the distributer. You Just get a larger cap, rotor, & wires. I have the Napa part #'s, if you are interested, Paul.

Hey Dano, hope your not changing it to H.E.I. Not that this would be A bad thing. It's just that the "Team Rush" upgrade, doesn't require the removal of the distributer. You Just get a larger cap, rotor, & wires. I have the Napa part #'s, if you are interested, Paul.
Ahh, the good old Junkyard Genius upgrade. That dude knows his shit when it comes to AMC electrical systems. I've picked his brain a time or two.

Thanks Paul, No upgrade per se, I had it in the shop a few months ago, it wouldn't stay running when I needed to stop without one foot on the brake and gas together and one on the clutch. Tech said the timing was off one mark so he corrected everything and it was running great until last w/end. Tech told me the spring/weights in distributor were "moving" more than they should be and the timing was changing due to that. Said I should put in a new distributor. It was running so good, I didn't bother, now as of last weekend it started doing the same thing again, doesn't want to stay running when I stop and it started backfiring some. If I don't keep my foot on the gas it won't idle, but it starts right back up. Putting a new distributor in to see if I can correct this problem. Have you been there, done that?

I don't think you have a spark issue in regards to the stalling. Sounds like more of a carb issue. Still running the stock Carter BBD?

yes as far as I know, I wouldn't call myself a tech but I do have a mechanical inclination. When it was in the shop, I had all that checked out, that's what I originally took it in for. I watched the tech make adjustments with the vacuum guage and such hooked-up to the carb, I know it sounds strange but the timing would change willy/nilly. When I left his shop and for the last couple months it was running better than I thought possible...Now back to doing the same as before. It does have high mileage, 203K, but the gas filter is clean, no rust particals/trash. I have even unhooked the gas line and let it pump into a container to see if the gas tank was corroded/trashy but it seems to be clean for it's age. I bought the jeep in Oct '07 and have only put 2k miles on it, but it doesn't burn oil or leak.

The timing was changing willy nilly cause that's what the antiquated computer was telling it to do. The Carter BBD carb is controlled by the computer and so is the spark. The emissions management system jeep used on the 4.2s was crap when they put it together and it's even bigger crap after all these years and miles.

Since you say you're mechanically inclined, you need to read this and consider if it's right for you.
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/jn-ignition99/

I've done this to one CJ I had that would barely run and the outcome was impressive. Not as impressive as changing carbs all together, but that would have raised more eyebrows at the inspection station.;)

Aside from changing the carb to a MC2100 or similar, it's the only way to get those things running well. I strongly suggest giving it a shot.

I switched to a Weber carb. Can I still do this bypass? If so, do I have to do anything different from what the article says?

Yep. If you're running a weber, all you have to do is wire the ignition module to the dizzy as described in the writeup.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna give this a try. I still can't get my Weber tuned right. It always stalls on hills keeping me from trying alot of obstacles. Hope this solves some of the problem.

Back