73 ford 2-wheel drive convert to 4x4?

jamesjohner

was wondering if anyone had any info or if anyone has made the 2wheel drive 73-79 model ford trucks into solid front axle 4 wheel drive. Thanks for any advise.

I dont know much about the ford, but i do know people do it all the time with toyotas. Obviously you have to make a spring hanger up front, do some sort of crossover steering, add a transfercase, make a t-case cross member, most likely need to run a bigger master cylinder, and probably replace the trans with a 4x4 one. SOO if you have the shop and fab skills then its a good idea... but deff a project for someone with a more experience than less

My advice is...it'll be cheaper to just go buy a 4x4....unless this one has sentimental value. But yotaman got it right. However, if you convert using ford parts, you shouldn't need x-over and you'll definitely need a 4x4 trans (unless you feel like find a 4x4 trans and swapping out tail shafts). And don't forget d-shafts too.

you'll definitely need a 4x4 trans (unless you feel like find a 4x4 trans and swapping out tail shafts). And don't forget d-shafts too.

Not really. You could go divorced transfercase.

Not really. You could go divorced transfercase.

And what would that accomplish? 2wd C6 tail shafts and 4wd tail shafts are different lengths. I couldn't just go and drop a 2wd C6 into my 77 which has a divroced case. So I'm assuming he goes with an auto.

And what would that accomplish? 2wd C6 tail shafts and 4wd tail shafts are different lengths. I couldn't just go and drop a 2wd C6 into my 77 which has a divroced case. So I'm assuming he goes with an auto.

I did not say it was easy. But any 2wd transmission can be mated to any divorced transfer case. All you have to do is fab the mounts and the intermediate shaft.

so ben...would most 4x4 truck and the bronco front ends from the same model bolt up to the 2x4? OR wouls i have to just try them out and see what i could make fit.
O yea and the truck def does have some sentimental value. I bought the truck when i was 16 for $500 and have had it as a project since then. I dont think i could ever sell it!...ha

I have a front hp dana 44 from a ford truck that would almost bolt it would be the best and most simple swap for what you want

so ben...would most 4x4 truck and the bronco front ends from the same model bolt up to the 2x4? OR wouls i have to just try them out and see what i could make fit.
O yea and the truck def does have some sentimental value. I bought the truck when i was 16 for $500 and have had it as a project since then. I dont think i could ever sell it!...ha

Well...after the fab work, the easiest thing to do certainly would be grab any of the 73-79 front axles. That would be anything from a low pinion 44 to a high pinion 60. As a matter of fact, I'd just find a whole parts truck and swap anything and everything you can over. Personally, I'd go with a 76 and later 250 so you can get the discs and big hubs with the D44...but some 77 250's did come with a LP D60, like I have in mine, but you'd probably wanna skip that option. If you want the HP D60 you'll have to find a 78-79 250 Sno-Fighter or a 79 350 (or get in contact with user Gubni).

However, this is no easy task, and if it were me, I'd swap the body to a good 4x4 chassis...there are plenty of them out there. But if you have the ambition, resources and know how to do it...go for it.

yea thanks. Ive been thinkin about just going and looking for a 4x4 chassis here in the next week or so. Theyve got this sweet deal in goldsboro with some pul your own part sale not sure of the name of the place. But ive got some stuff from there for this truck before and theyve been the best priced place ive ever dealt with

I have a 76 F-250, 4X4, Divorced Transfer Case, Runs and drives, 410 Mercury Big Block,
4 speed with Granny, Asking 1,250 Make me an offer.

yea thanks. Ive been thinkin about just going and looking for a 4x4 chassis here in the next week or so. Theyve got this sweet deal in goldsboro with some pul your own part sale not sure of the name of the place. But ive got some stuff from there for this truck before and theyve been the best priced place ive ever dealt with

Any chance I could get a name to that place?

FYI...Galloway's has a green F150 4x4 that seems to have a good chassis...good body too. I'm sure you could pick that thing up for $1500 or less and then just mix and match you trcuk with that. Could probably sell whatever you don't use off the green truck and make back some good money. I know I've been eyeballing the hood, fenders and tailgate for a while.

Any chance I could get a name to that place?
FYI...Galloway's has a green F150 4x4 that seems to have a good chassis...good body too. I'm sure you could pick that thing up for $1500 or less and then just mix and match you trcuk with that. Could probably sell whatever you don't use off the green truck and make back some good money. I know I've been eyeballing the hood, fenders and tailgate for a while.

The name of the place is: "Bevells. You pull it" Its located in Goldsboro. Thanks for all the info. Ill let you know whati find out.

I have a 76 F-250, 4X4, Divorced Transfer Case, Runs and drives, 410 Mercury Big Block,
4 speed with Granny, Asking 1,250 Make me an offer.
Hey bud thanks for the offer ill let you knoq if im interested in a week or so. Ive got some lookin around to do closer to the house. Thanks for the offer

Back