7.3L engine questions for possible tow rig purchase?

4x4fever

im lookin at an 89 f-350 XLT Crew Cab Duallie 2wd with 151,000 miles on the 7.3 liter engine with aftermarket banks turbo on it. this truck has a 5 speed and straight hums down the road, runs and sounds great.

my question is there any problems or quirks about this engine, or anything i should add or do since the PO put on a banks turbo?

great engine. Check for maintence history that the SCAs have been taken care of. SCA is coolent additive that at proper levels stops cavitation or erosion of the cylinder walls from the water jacket side. Depending on the prices s/he is asking I'd have em do a compression check. Based on my recient research 150k is the magic time for problems to pop up on an unmaintainded (7.3) motor. I'd guess that if the PO did the banks kit they were up on top of that stuff...

But reguardless, ill take that turbo unit of your hands..

yager said:
great engine. Check for maintence history that the SCAs have been taken care of. SCA is coolent additive that at proper levels stops cavitation or erosion of the cylinder walls from the water jacket side. Depending on the prices s/he is asking I'd have em do a compression check. Based on my recient research 150k is the magic time for problems to pop up on an unmaintainded (7.3) motor. I'd guess that if the PO did the banks kit they were up on top of that stuff...
But reguardless, ill take that turbo unit of your hands..

not a chance id let that turbo go. im pretty sure the engine is solid but i can do a compression test on it and all that good stuff.

i dont think u could beat the prices 2000 bucks for a 89f350 XLT Continential crewcab longbed duallie with custom bumpers and brushguard.

Back