7.3 basic upgrades

Another option you have if your not ready($$$) to buy gauges or a monitor is to use the torque pro app to monitor temps.Thats what Im using on my 6.0
For me personaly,if money was tight and I decided on mech gauges I would at least get the trans temp gauge and the EGT gauge.Boost gauge you can do w/o,more so than the other two.If its not boostin you'll know.If you find/buy used gauges MAKE SURE the probe for the EGT gauge is included.Without it the gauge is worthless.

Yeah the monitor still uses a mechanical probe to see EGTs so you will have to pay extra for that, but it will be very accurate.

I find it hard to believe a monitor would not give accurate readings compared to mechanical gauges. Since the dawn of fuel injection in the 80s, the vehicle is already monitoring most of these perimeters. Something like the Edge or similar is simply showing you whats being read.

I nearly bought a 7.3 OBS ford a few years ago. Of course I was itching to get it and add this and that. My plan was exhaust, Big filter, and a 5 position tune and use the Edge to keep an eye on things. There is a difference in the Edge tuner, and the Edge monitor. The monitor is basically just gauges with the ability to do diagnostics and clear codes. It also has tons of expandability so you can add a rear diff temp, or anything else you want to add. In my case, the truck got sold before I could get to it.

I could be wrong about some of that, it’s been a couple years since I did all that research.

With the Hydra tunes, if you make changes in the future like injectors or turbo, you just contact them and they adjust your tune for said modifications. Small fee associated with it, but it’s much better than your canned tunes available.

With the Hydra tunes, if you make changes in the future like injectors or turbo, you just contact them and they adjust your tune for said modifications. Small fee associated with it, but it’s much better than your canned tunes available.
Not sure about now but DP was the same way back when I ordered mine.I ran straight exhaust w no cat/muffler and removed the ebpv flap in the turbo.I guess their is some gain to be had w a full 4 inch exhaust I just never could justify the expense.

Not sure about now but DP was the same way back when I ordered mine.I ran straight exhaust w no cat/muffler and removed the ebpv flap in the turbo.I guess their is some gain to be had w a full 4 inch exhaust I just never could justify the expense.

My understanding is the exhaust gets real flat at the firewall and is a big restriction, so that’s the big benefit of a turbo back exhaust.
As for tuners, DP is good too, anything is better when they will tune it accounting for your upgrades rather than a “one size fits all” approach.
I would like to get a BlackBear tune for my 6.0 gas truck eventually.

My understanding is the exhaust gets real flat at the firewall and is a big restriction, so that’s the big benefit of a turbo back exhaust.
As for tuners, DP is good too, anything is better when they will tune it accounting for your upgrades rather than a “one size fits all” approach.

Thats the OBS truck that have the shitty firewall clearance. You can fit a 4" downpipe on the SD. The SD come with a stock 3.5" I think.

Yeah on a OBS its really flat and I could see where a different down pipe/exhaust would help.A 6.0 cooler on a early psd might be a lil more involved than on a 99 up model.My 6.0 is a diesel.

Well, towed to Harlan this weekend. Took the 40 route west from High Point and met up w/ the rest of our crew in Hickory. From there, headed west up Black Mountain, up 26 to 58 then 421.

I will say this....DAMN this truck left a lot to be desired when pulling some of the grades! Certainly wasn't expecting it to get up the hills like the 6.7 PSD's with us but I was a bit surprised (and disappointed, frankly). Around the 55-60mph range, it could not hold speed w/ my foot buried on some of the steeper grades. @DannyH had his stock late-99 running with us and did not have the problems I did pulling. I went to Martin Marietta the day before we left out and rolled across the scales at 14,300# so I'm guessing the 4runner and trailer was in the 6-7k# neighborhood.

What all is done to yours?

Not beating you down but an obs ps has the lowest hp of any of the ps engines.You might have mentioned it but if your running an auto it will most likely have 3:55 gears which do you no favors when towing.I towed my one ton K5 on a 20 foot deck over for 3-4 years w a 2wd obs cc w a 5 speed and 4:10’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What all is done to yours?
Stock w/ a 6.0 tranny cooler. I guess I just expected it to at least hold my speed pulling a 1st gen 4Runner. I know the early-99s are lower on power but DAMN SON! That bout made me want to upgrade already.

Not beating you down but an obs ps has the lowest hp of any of the ps engines.You might have mentioned it but if your running an auto it will most likely have 3:55 gears which do you no favors when towing.I towed my one ton K5 on a 20 foot deck over for 3-4 years w a 2wd obs cc w a 5 speed and 4:10’s

Nah, you're not beating me down...I'm just trying to educate myself. This one has 3.73 fwiw...it was definitely sluggish.

It’s not gonna wake up till you throw on the big air filter and exhaust with a tow tune.

In all honesty, the 7.3 gets so much praise and is a little overrated. The joke has always been “you may not get there fast, but you’ll certainly get there”

They’re just reliable more than anything. I’m sure with a few upgrades you’ll be really happy.

Stock w/ a 6.0 tranny cooler. I guess I just expected it to at least hold my speed pulling a 1st gen 4Runner. I know the early-99s are lower on power but DAMN SON! That bout made me want to upgrade already.

Did you take it out of o/d on long pulls??

They just aren't rocket ships. The 7.3 was one of the last of the workhorse diesels before everyone got into HP and TQ wars. Make it breathe better and throw it a little more power through it via a quality tuner. The one thing I always noticed with my 02, was keeping the RPM's in a specific sweet spot dictated maintaining speed or losing speed on longer grades. That was with a 6spd so it was easier to pick and choose where you wanted the truck to run.

Did you take it out of o/d on long pulls??

Oh yea!
They just aren't rocket ships. The 7.3 was one of the last of the workhorse diesels before everyone got into HP and TQ wars. Make it breathe better and throw it a little more power through it via a quality tuner. The one thing I always noticed with my 02, was keeping the RPM's in a specific sweet spot dictated maintaining speed or losing speed on longer grades. That was with a 6spd so it was easier to pick and choose where you wanted the truck to run.
Agreed, I noticed around the 55-60mph range was the worst spot to be in as it was the low spot for 3rd in the RPMs. Under that speed I could get it down in 2nd and it would at least hold speed.

A buddy I worked with had an upgraded HPOP, BHAF intake, exhaust, compressor wheel, and single shot injectors...and it was tuned, of course. Not sure how well it pulled, but it was much stronger than stock. In the grand scheme of what you CAN spend, his mods were pretty minor.

A guy I work with now has an 02 dually. Tunes, BHAF intake, and exhaust. It too was a turd in stock form, but is muuuuch better now. The 4.10s in the duallies definitely helps.

As long as they have good fuel pressure and clean oil, the 7.3s will keep on trucking. Whoever tunes it for you should likely have a tow tune in the mix, if you get multiple tunes, and it'll probably lock the converter in 2nd and keep it locked through 4th. That helps a lot too.

This is accurate. My dad was driving my 7.3 on our last trip and it took him a long time to figure this out after I told him and told him to keep it in the “power band.”
With 3.73 (I think) in the rear 75mph is the sweet spot on the shorter hills, 65-70 is what I shot for on those long ones. Which now that I’ve drove it for a few years I can hit apparently while talking in the phone. Lol

This is accurate. My dad was driving my 7.3 on our last trip and it took him a long time to figure this out after I told him and told him to keep it in the “power band.”
With 3.73 (I think) in the rear 75mph is the sweet spot on the shorter hills, 65-70 is what I shot for on those long ones. Which now that I’ve drove it for a few years I can hit apparently while talking in the phone. Lol

Truth. If I keep my rpms around 2k on the long grades I can hold speed better. That's around 65-70, and 75 on flat or down grades.

My 02 7.3 I just bought back in February so I'm still learning how to use it. It came with an older Banks 6 gun tuner and exhaust but I haven't messed with the tuner much. Just left it on stock setting for now. But I did add a larger air filter and with the oil change and fuel filter change she runs great. I also use some marvel mystery oil in the fuel and it seems it helps keep the injectors happy.

Truth. If I keep my rpms around 2k on the long grades I can hold speed better. That's around 65-70, and 75 on flat or down grades.

My 02 7.3 I just bought back in February so I'm still learning how to use it. It came with an older Banks 6 gun tuner and exhaust but I haven't messed with the tuner much. Just left it on stock setting for now. But I did add a larger air filter and with the oil change and fuel filter change she runs great. I also use some marvel mystery oil in the fuel and it seems it helps keep the injectors happy.

Put that thing on a tow tune before we go to Harlan next week. You’ll be realll happy then! Then you can report back here for Rodney the difference.

Put that thing on a tow tune before we go to Harlan next week. You’ll be realll happy then! Then you can report back here for Rodney the difference.

Second this, I want to know the difference as well. I’m about a week from slapping a TS6 on mine. Mine is technically property of my work, but I use it anytime I need it, so I do upgrades on my own dime.

Id like to go a little faster on the getting there, but I’m not getting to crazy with it. I’d rather have a reliable truck than a hot rod.

That'd be great to hear. Already been kicking around the idea of selling this thing.

That'd be great to hear. Already been kicking around the idea of selling this thing.

I’d get a couple more pulls with it first. Try the upgrades to let it breath and a tune, and try keeping it in the sweet spot like mentioned.

Every truck has that sweet spot for torque, even my gas burner. I have to be in 3rd at 65 or 2nd at 55 for a bigger hill. If you can keep the RPMs up and keep building boost you’ll be good.

If you put exhaust and air filter along with a tuner and still don’t like it, you should be able to get your money back for all of that easy with the demand of 7.3 trucks.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's my next step is to see how much difference the tuner will make. After all the stuff I've done to it so far I feel better that it won't mind a little bit more fuel. The trans shifts real hard, like a poweglide with a shift kit. And according to the temp gauge on the dash it's never even suggested getting hot. So I'm suspecting the original owner did some trans upgrades as well. I'm going to play with it a little this weekend since the Jeep is pretty much ready for Harlan now.

Back