6.7 powerstroke no power until warmed up

93redzj

A buddy of mine has a 2012 F250 with the 6.7 in it. He’s saying it has a loss of power until the truck is warmed up. Hasn’t noticed any excess smoke coming from exhaust. Oil and filter changed a few weeks back, fuel filter done about 9k ago. Truck is deleted by previous owner, and it’s my understanding sometimes trucks that are deleted/tuned don’t always throw a CEL?

I haven’t looked at truck myself yet, this is just the info I’ve gotten from him so far. Any ideas what to investigate first? Thanks

Turbo? Had a buddy with an 11 that had similar symptoms. Turbo was on its way out and eventually lead to a full replacement.

Turbo? Had a buddy with an 11 that had similar symptoms. Turbo was on its way out and eventually lead to a full replacement.
My initial thoughts were turbo as well, and my understanding is on the 11-12 6.7 they are prone to failure. Would there not be any extra smoke coming from exhaust with a failing turbo?

My initial thoughts were turbo as well, and my understanding is on the 11-12 6.7 they are prone to failure. Would there not be any extra smoke coming from exhaust with a failing turbo?
I'm clueless, but are they like the old 7.3 with a gate that retards flow til warm up? Or similar? The old 7.3 diverted air or something til warm with a actuator arm that tended to stick.

I’ll have to ask my buddy. I don’t recall it blowing smoke. Just power issues. A quick search does say smoking is one of the signs.

I'm clueless, but are they like the old 7.3 with a gate that retards flow til warm up? Or similar? The old 7.3 diverted air or something til warm with a actuator arm that tended to stick.
I’m unsure as well, I’m familiar with the 7.3 as mine does that, thankfully I haven’t had the issue of it sticking. I’m still searching around. He said he hasn’t noticed any loss of boost or strange noises coming from the engine compartment as far as a turbo going out

If he does replace the turbo, I would advise on replacing the manifold studs as well. I have a 13 and thought my turbo was going bad but turned out to be a couple broke studs.

Does it have a handheld tuner on it that was used for the deleting and tuning?

Some of those will limit power until coolant temps reach (usually) 120+ degrees.

Does it have a handheld tuner on it that was used for the deleting and tuning?

Some of those will limit power until coolant temps reach (usually) 120+ degrees.
I am not sure to be honest. He said previous owner deleted and tuned it. He was able to get it to another local shop, the first one he tried was 2 months out. Told him to let me know what he finds out as I’m intrigued to know what the truck is doing as well. I was going to go look at it today but he already had it at the shop.

Back