6.0 Powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins vs 6.7 Cummins

Wife has her Tahoe LTZ now. Loooong trip to Ohio and back today. She seems pretty happy.

Considering a truetrac in the rear over the G80 govlok. I believe the gear ratio is 3.62 (has towing package). Considering higher gears as well for fuel Econ. No towing needed.

The trucks started in 2007.5 also, when they changed the body style. The biggest difference is the 6 speed transmission, but the L92 6.0 is a totally different animal than the older LQ4. The square port "LS3" heads and intake flow soooo much better than the cathedral port heads and intakes did.

If you did happen to have an 8.1 and wanted to ditch torque management, it's just an ECM tune away! FWIW, ALL GM trucks have torque management. I also won't leave anything stock...at the least it's going to get tuned. Stock works, but it can always be better.

d7140d7f56964b6e691d6950969c8a73.jpg

Just get a 6.4 and tow anything you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until the motor lets go...or the turbos both crap out...or any of the coolant system issues that seem to plague them. I'd honestly rather have a 6.0. At least there's a little bit of room under the hood to work on those.

Hopefully that one is deleted and tuned.

Until the motor lets go...or the turbos both crap out...or any of the coolant system issues that seem to plague them. I'd honestly rather have a 6.0. At least there's a little bit of room under the hood to work on those.

Hopefully that one is deleted and tuned.

Deleted studded cammed, all aluminum radiator, upgraded pistons, new turbos....... buddy built the motor not to long ago

Deleted studded cammed, all aluminum radiator, upgraded pistons, new turbos....... buddy built the motor not to long ago

Since its been brought up, now I'll explain my love- hate with the 6.4...
That's good! It should last atleast 35,000! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
When I built my 6.4 initially (08 f450, 4wd, 5r110, 4.30 gearing) I did everything that should have been done for it to be reliable. I bought the truck with a bad motor and no bed. I spent about 8g's building on a tight, in spec, 70k mile bottom end.

Items done:
-New turbos
-Rudy's Hd up pipes (that still cracked)
100% new fuel system from a relined tank to hpfp and all new lines from tank to injector
-resurfaced the log manifolds
-deleted egr, down pipe and filter
- heads resurfaced and fluxed
- new rocker arms, lifters, rods
-arp head studs
-complete ford engine gasket kit
- stainless cold air charge kit
- new cooling system including radiator, upgraded hoses and new tstats
-new oil cooler and fuel cooler
- stage 3 intake and ccv mod
- new water pump and front engine cover
-h&s tuner, ran on 70hp tow tune always, never hot rodded

It went 50k miles and then blew two piston, and got into cylinder walls.

Sooo... down 6 weeks (bought the v10 the first weekend)

Repaired bottom end to the tune of 6g. Including machine work to bore .030 to clean up cylinder walls.

- new coated de-lipped international (mahle) positions .030
- nothing on the top end needed any work (as it shouldn't with only 50k miles...)
- All new bottom end bearings
-new water pump/tstats again just for piece of mind

20k miles later and cavitation has eaten through the front cover and put water in the crank case. (no evidence of wear on 50k mi cover upon bottom end rebuild).
I drive it home 2 hours after changing the oil in a truck stop parking lot. Put a new $1000 front engine cover (single pin hole in cover) on over the weekend. Run 3 oil changes through the block before I put it on the asphalt again. On following Monday I drove 100 miles, and now have a knock in the top end....smh.

Have yet to attempt to diagnose (been 4-5 months- the manche was clogging up the shop...) Still debating whether to sell as is, repair and sell, or 5.9 crd or p- pump swap. The remainder of the truck has 270k miles on it and is as tight as any new truck I've ever owned, that's why I'm having a hard time parting with it... and it's a badass looking truck...

ff840049deb6953fef4a67cc52560c21.jpg

72ea619501c74a497ed69bb0d0f59924.jpg

I absolutely love the power and performance of the 6.4 when its good (and it's my favorite front clip on a ford truck) .... It sucks ass when its not...

I hope you have continued success with yours.

.... if anyone is interested in this truck, feel free to give me a call...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Since its been brought up, now I'll explain my love- hate with the 6.4...When I built my 6.4 initially (08 f450, 4wd, 5r110, 4.30 gearing) I did everything that should have been done for it to be reliable. I bought the truck with a bad motor and no bed. I spent about 8g's building on a tight, in spec, 70k mile bottom end.

Items done:
-New turbos
100% new fuel system from a relined tank to hpfp and all new lines from tank to injector
-arp head studs

Repaired bottom end to the tune of 6g. Including machine work to bore .030 to clean up cylinder walls.

- nothing on the top end needed any work (as it shouldn't with only 50k miles...)

20k miles later and cavitation has eaten through the front cover and put water in the crank case. (no evidence of wear on 50k mi cover upon bottom end rebuild).
I drive it home 2 hours after changing the oil in a truck stop parking lot. Put a new $1000 front engine cover (single pin hole in cover) on over the weekend. Run 3 oil changes through the block before I put it on the asphalt again. On following Monday I drove 100 miles, and now have a knock in the top end....smh.

Have yet to attempt to diagnose (been 4-5 months- the manche was clogging up the shop...) Still debating whether to sell as is, repair and sell, or 5.9 crd or p- pump swap. The remainder of the truck has 270k miles on it and is as tight as any new truck I've ever owned, that's why I'm having a hard time parting with it... and it's a badass looking truck...

I absolutely love the power and performance of the 6.4 when its good (and it's my favorite front clip on a ford truck) .... It sucks ass when its not...

I literally cannot get them out of the shop once they come in. The list of needs is always expansive, once tear down begins the list always gets longer, once reassembled something else always happens and it expands again.
Recently we had a 08 in for an egr delete, we perform a pre-workstart test drive to eliminate potential problems. During this test drive I noted a grinding, prepared to turn and head back to the shop and couldn't stop. Obviously brake issues, so we added brake repairs to the estimate. During the initial stages of the cab removal it was obvious the cab bolts would fight, so after 4-5 hours of heating and slowly working each bolt we had 5 broken cab bolts and cage nuts (later determined the truck had experierenced a hard front end impact which had bent the bolts).
Upon replacing the components required in our initial work we had a coolant pipe that refused to seal. The list goes on and on. This is all occurring over thanksgiving (we were off a week), a tech is trying his best to complete the work to please the customer. He finally finishes all the work, takes the truck for a test drive and calls me after pulling out and says the grinding is still present. I asked him to turn around and bring it back, I'm on the phone when he let's out of the throttle and the pinion bearing fails. After completing the diff repair, the truck has returned for multiple unrelated issues.

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I'm smart enough to know this can't be attributed to a curse and I couldn't dare condemn all 6.4l trucks on this one experience. But considering that every single 6.4l we work on ends with a similar experience, I choose to avoid them!
I should add, of all the brands and engine configurations we work on - the 6.4l is the only one that give problems constantly.
ba26dea9d14128a283e58aa6019d1c38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Since its been brought up, now I'll explain my love- hate with the 6.4...When I built my 6.4 initially (08 f450, 4wd, 5r110, 4.30 gearing) I did everything that should have been done for it to be reliable. I bought the truck with a bad motor and no bed. I spent about 8g's building on a tight, in spec, 70k mile bottom end.

Items done:
-New turbos
-arp head studs

I like the way that truck looks and if I wasn’t trying to build my jeep I’d try to figure out a way to own it.

I know the 6.4 can problematic but like any other problematic trucks there are really good one and really really bad ones. Forums are full of the really bad ones. Most people don’t complain about how great their truck is running, knock on wood I haven’t had any problems out of the truck yet, not saying it can’t happen.

But I’m also a firm believer in people that have continued problems with a truck fall into a couple groups

-take on something over their level of knowledge and screw something up
- use subpar products trying to save a buck
- or they abuse the truck

Not saying that’s the case with your truck but that’s what I see a lot when I see people saying their truck keeps blowing head gaskets or whatever it is

I like the way that truck looks and if I wasn’t trying to build my jeep I’d try to figure out a way to own it.

I know the 6.4 can problematic but like any other problematic trucks there are really good one and really really bad ones. Forums are full of the really bad ones. Most people don’t complain about how great their truck is running, knock on wood I haven’t had any problems out of the truck yet, not saying it can’t happen.

But I’m also a firm believer in people that have continued problems with a truck fall into a couple groups

-take on something over their level of knowledge and screw something up
- use subpar products trying to save a buck
- or they abuse the truck

Not saying that’s the case with your truck but that’s what I see a lot when I see people saying their truck keeps blowing head gaskets or whatever it is

Agreed.

Rest assured, money was spent on the right parts for this truck, and anything else I have built in last 15 years. I did all the top end work, and a reputable friend/ diesel mechanic did the bottom. I'm also very good at maintenance.

If this thread had started at 45k miles after building the top end, you would here nothing but praise about it. Spent zero dollars in two years on this truck.

I would honestly like to fix this truck, but frankly I have a load of projects that need my attention in the next couple months. We shall see...

Maybe I was lucky, but my 6.4 was problem free from 300k to 336k, other than one deteriorated body mount. It was driven hard, but taken care of. DPF deleted and pretty hot tune. I even let @Ron borrow it, when he needed a real truck instead of a Toyota, and it made it back in one piece. That squeaking body mount drove him crazy though.

Agreed.

Rest assured, money was spent on the right parts for this truck, and anything else I have built in last 15 years. I did all the top end work, and a reputable friend/ diesel mechanic did the bottom. I'm also very good at maintenance.

If this thread had started at 45k miles after building the top end, you would here nothing but praise about it. Spent zero dollars in two years on this truck.

I would honestly like to fix this truck, but frankly I have a load of projects that need my attention in the next couple months. We shall see...

Glad you didn’t take that the wrong way because trust me I’d buy anything I could afford from you. You seem to have a similar mindset to myself on projects, spend the money and do it once and do it as nice as you can afford once. (But you just have more skills and fab work than me)

But like a mechanic buddy said a motor is controlled explosions 100s of thousand times a day sometimes shit just don’t go right

Maybe I was lucky, but my 6.4 was problem free from 300k to 336k, other than one deteriorated body mount. It was driven hard, but taken care of. DPF deleted and pretty hot tune. I even let @Ron borrow it, when he needed a real truck instead of a Toyota, and it made it back in one piece. That squeaking body mount drove him crazy though.

Family member has one pushing 400k bought it new, deleted it tuned it and put aluminum radiator and ford filters in it. Pulls a 6 horse trailer every weekend no major problems from it

That'd hurt my feelings...what kills me is I see a bunch of trucks that get new injectors, a built transmission, turbo, and built motor...then they sell them. Wtf? At that point, you better keep it forever!

Last edited:
That'd hurt ny feelings...what kills me is I see a bunch of trucks that get new injectors, a built transmission, turbo, and built motor...then they sell them. Wtf? At that point, you better keep it forever!
That's the guy who bought my truck to a tee! He traded a perfectly good LLY Duramax for a "built and tuned" 400hp Evo, then spent a bunch of money fixing it and getting it tuned right, then turned around and sold it within a week. Recently he bought a 6.0 Ford, paid someone to rebuild the entire frontend, then spent about $5k having it bulletproofed and deleted. While it was in the shop for that, he borrowed my 6.4 for a week, and loved the power and how quiet it was. The week after it came out of the shop, he Sold 6.0 for about what he paid for it, and bought mine.

That's the guy who bought my truck to a tee! He traded a perfectly good LLY Duramax for a "built and tuned" 400hp Evo, then spent a bunch of money fixing it and getting it tuned right, then turned around and sold it within a week. Recently he bought a 6.0 Ford, paid someone to rebuild the entire frontend, then spent about $5k having it bulletproofed and deleted. While it was in the shop for that, he borrowed my 6.4 for a week, and loved the power and how quiet it was. The week after it came out of the shop, he Sold 6.0 for about what he paid for it, and bought mine.
You mind giving me this guys info? I’ve got a bunch of crap to sell that he can spend money to fix.

You mind giving me this guys info? I’ve got a bunch of crap to sell that he can spend money to fix.
Ha! No way! He actually bought an Audi S4 from me the day after he sold that Evo. So he's my best customer! And also one of my best friends, who knows that when he buys something from me, he's getting a tried and true, sorted out vehicle that is not full of random problems, and if anything does come up, I'll be the one offering up my labor and lift to help him fix it.

That's kinda cool, but I couldn't own a GM truck with a ZF6. The GM versions are notoriously problematic!

That 6.0 with an NV4500 though...that's another story :D

The only issues I've heard about with 8.1 oiling is just that they have a consumption rate...usually about a quart between oil changes.

This is a legit question. Wouldn't the larger bore and stroke be better for longevity even though the LS2 makes close to the same power? Also, at 11:1, the LS2 would need 93 octane pump gas instead of some cheap old 87, wouldn't it? Not to mention the RPM power range difference between the two...but surely you'd opt for an L92 6.0 for a tow rig instead of an LS2.

All things being equal, the answer would be yes, BUT, the smaller engine could be a better design with higher quality parts, and end up lasting longer.

I cant make any headway on any diesel choices, which must be a sign. And who am i kidding, ill tow max 2 to 4 times a year. It will be more often just used for wood or parts/tire hauling. Trying to decide between ram or GM 2500 gasser. Anyone got any mechanical input? Thanks

(Edit: Maybe ill find a LB7 for the price of a gasser lmao)

My next truck will probably be a 2500 chevy gasser. I'm tired of the added costs of the diesel with little return given how little I actually need a diesel. This is my 4th diesel and I'm now finally realizing I don't really need a diesel. If I find an older one as a 3rd vehicle for super cheap, then maybe have it at the house but for a daily driver, I'm going gas.

Back