5.3 Chevy/GMC and towing

Went to visit a friend at Hendrick Lexus Yest, and I laughed my ass off.
directinjcarbonvalve.jpg

A few years ago I had a 5.7 Vortec
350 I herd all the hype about the 5.3
Being so powerful and it was the old
327 back to life bla bla bla
I bought one and while on paper there was more power
The old 5.7 did not down shift half as much on the hills
But my be different now with the 6 speeds

storeman, you're right as far as 5.3 and downshifting, they do downshift a lot more. that being said, the newer 4l60e's(and newer yet 6l80) are controlled alot better than the late 90's 4l60e. the downshifting saves the transmission from being "lugged" and slipping like the 5.7 vortecs did, since 5.7's tend to have better bottom end torque. when towing with a 5.3, let it use the lower gear, they love to spin rpms. i've actually gotten better fuel mileage while towing at 70 in "D" over towing the same load at 55 in "D".

the yukon Denali came with 6.0 and newer ones have a 6.2. I would stay away from anything direct injection. Every maker is having issues with it. 4L60 and 6l60 are fine if you keep good fluid in it and keep it cool.

After driving my 03 GMC Yukon xl 5.3 around for a few months now, made up my mind that I won't be doing any towing with this gutlless heep other than boats.
:shaking:
Trading in for a diesel. That is all.

My daddy got a powerstroke to pull his camper. Used it a couple times then went back to pulling the camper with mom's tahoe. 04 5.3 4x4. Pulled with the tahoe for a year or so till he got a Tundra. Tahoe only hauls golf clubs now.

I've got an 06' Tahoe 5.3. I towed my 14' enclosed with 3 dirt bikes in it to a race in Sanford (due east of my house, no hills) it sucked. I felt like I was killing the motor trying to maintain 70mph on the highway. I'll be using my 01' CTD dually to tow from now on, it handles whatever I put behind it with cruise set at 80 with zero issues.

Back