4.0 stroker questions

I am running the 4.2 crank and rods, with the 4.0 Keith Black pistons, clifford cam, with ls1 valves and spings, yella terra roller rockers, double roller timing set. If you are running a performance cam don't use a stock timing set, you will snap the chain. Ask me how I know? (twice)

Machinist took longer than originally expected. Didn't get the block back until this week. Did pre assembly today. Main clearance is .0025 to .003. Little concerned on this as .003 is more than spec. My machinist says to run it. Rod bearing clearance is .002 on all 6. Think that will be ok.
Should I call cleggs who I got the engine kit from and tell them I need .001 smaller main bearings?

After a conversation with Mr Treadway and looking closer at my main clearances I decided it would be ok. Spent today doing final assembly on the bottom end

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422231548873.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422231548873.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 286
Updates? You goin to put in on a dyno before it goes in the jeep?

Worked on it some yesterday. Not as much as I would have liked, but wife and kid had other plans for me yesterday afternoon.

Did get the cam degreed and finished up port port matching the head to the gasket. Exhaust side of the 4.0 head was ridiculously smaller than gasket and header ports. Intake side was left alone as they are pretty close. I could have done alot more porting but got lazy. ..lol. I am not building a race motor, just a reliable torque monster

I do plan to dyno it after it is installed. I have a friend that happens to have a dyno and a bone stock 4.0 cherokee both. We plan to dyno his and my jeep both.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423417463881.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423417463881.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Had a little more time today to work on it. Got the head bolted on. Started checking pushrod length and as I figured the stock pushrods are to long. I have a checker tool that I will go back one night this week and determine the correct length to order.
Another interesting note is after degreeing the cam my timing marks on the gears do not line up. I had to retard one tooth on the cam gear to get everything in spec

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423447126166.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423447126166.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 264
Probably should have turned this into a build thread. But Anyways, a few updates. Measured for pushrods and figured out I needed around a 9.550 pushrod. I did get lucky while looking on Summit and find out a set of Olds 455 pushrods were 9.543 long and worked out to give me .035 lifter preload. Had them in quick and for about $6 each. Alot less money than custom lengths.

Anyways a few more pictures
uploadfromtaptalk1426041145812.jpg

Pressure washed the engine bay and dropped the engine in after work tonight. Hope to have time this weekend to finish it up and break in the motor. Unfortunately I an not sure I will have my throttle body back from being bored out by this weekend so that may be a hold up. Also picked up a set of ford blue top 24lb injectors for it.
uploadfromtaptalk1426041694131.jpg

Any updates on this? Would love to hear how it runs!
Been together for awhile now, really have been enjoying the extra power from the stroker.
I still need to fine tune it by indexing the distributor and possibly have a tune written for it after doing some data logging.
I believe the injectors i have are actually 27lb after running the numbers on them. I really need to get a wideband afr gauge on it and see where is at. Lots of disputes on different forums over the best injectors to run, i think these may be a bit much, but a wideband will tell the truth.

But anyways here is a little 0-80 clip, it pulls like a freight train. Ignore the music at the beginning. ..lol

Very nice. It needs a turbo! (because everything does :D)

Back