3rd gen suspension

Azn Occassion

I got a full set suspension off a 2014 Tacoma in nice condition today with less then a few thousand miles on them. I have a 2000 4Runner seeing if it's possible to use these? The rear shock is 48530-04021 and the front is 48510-04610. If I can run these what rear shocks can I run?

Simple answer, no. The struts on the newer trucks are larger in diameter and will contact the upper control arm. That's also not including the weight difference that would likely make it ride like garbage.

the newer truck struts are also longer at the base.

the only parts that may swap are the front coils

even the factory wheels are different, the newer wheels are 1/2" deeper offset than the older, and the ball joint/upper control arm are VERY close to side wall of tire at full droop. the tire side wall is also within 1/4" of upper spindle

this is on a 2000 Tacoma with 2nd gen Tacoma 16" steel wheels and a 265/75/16 tire, new strut ( Bilsten 5100 with TC 600lb springs) at full droop
IMG_4807.JPG

1st gen Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners use same front suspension

2nd gen Tacomas and 4th gen 4Runners are also same front

I don't have any issues with the tires and wheels hitting any other components. Got a small amount of frame rub when I turn left all the way by it's a simple fix just got to get under her to make some adjustments. I'm running 35x12.50r17 wrangler mtr's for now not sure what the back spacing is, I can check this weekend when I'm not working. There are 2" spacers up front and for the PG rating "cluster fluff" in the rear suspension. The "genius" that I bought my truck from, had done some less the ok things to this truck. I've been gradually getting things fixed. I'll update as I go thanks for the info

How did they fit 35s on it? That's not just a simple bolt on a lift kit and go unless it's a drop bracket lift.

Edit: also you will pretty much always have frame rub at full lock one direction. With enough back spacing and wheel spacers you can get rid of most but it will still rub depending upon articulation. I'm running 4" bs and 1.25" spacers and get no rub at ride height but some during up travel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edit: sorry I forgot there is a 2" body lift and a diff drop installed.

The rubbing is not bad just had a lot of issues with the front end. Had to do both tie rod ends and both ball joints driver side x2. The caster bolts driver side need to get changed, steering rack/power steering pump need changed and it feels like the wheel bearing is starting to go. The whole suspension system is sagged bad any kind of a bump feels like getting tossed around a barrel down a hill.

my 97 was similar, while i knew the left lower control arm had been swapped out due to a wreck, so had the strut/coil assembly. from a 4cyl model. um, yeah...

my V6/5spd SR5 now rides on Limited springs and struts. BIG difference, and it sits about 2" higher as a result. rear moog coils are $50 for pair on Rock, strut assemblies were $190 for pair on Amazon, been a couple years , rides well still, ( after replacing front hub bearings, PITA)

*Update*
So I had 3 studs total break on both sides Monday. 2 driver 1 passenger. Yesterday I ordered new struts off Amazon because they were a $1 cheaper and free shipping vs rock for the same ones and got the rough country 771.20 for the rear. Got the passenger strut today and hopefully the rest will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to get back on the road. Pics to come once installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strut studs, FYI scary driving home like that. 15 min drive from work to the house and the whole time felt like the wheel was just gonna get pulled under.

The stud that pulled was after the one broke. It drove fine with just the 2 in each side then Monday i drove maybe 600 ft from work to the soccer field down the road went and checked it just because I want to make sure I can get to where I need to and that happened. I limped it home and parked it. I got the new suspension yesterday and was going to install today and the new spacer plate doesn't fit. Center to center on the plate is 3 1/8" studs are 3 1/4". I called rough country and they're sending a new set out. Hopefully they come in fast.

926cad7149fd66509ec09f651b4454c1.jpg
889d34f52e6a452cca87bc49d2c4d8ec.jpg

Back