350 TBI Help

TKnight

I've got a 1 ton yj that has a 350 tbi in it. The motor idles great and does good until k try to give it a lot of throttle..when it gets to higher rpms the motor bogs down and starts popping/back firing...having trouble finding the issue and don't want to keep throwing parts at it.. I have an e2000 airtex fuel pump in it brand new. I've also checked the tps, map and icm sensors and all seem to be in working condition. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

sounds like the timing is not advancing with the engine?

Put a timing light on it, may have jumped a tooth on the cam or not be advancing like Jeff B said.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Not very familiar with the tbi, but why would the timing not advance with the motor?

should be a centrifugal advance or vacuum advance in the dizzy

Can take a look at the bypass wire that is used to set the initial timing. If that is left unplugged you will not have any computer timing control. It is a tan/black or tan/white wire I can't remember off the top of my head, with a single terminal weather pack connector that you are supposed to disconnect to set the initial timing. It should come out of the dizzy harness.

Can take a look at the bypass wire that is used to set the initial timing. If that is left unplugged you will not have any computer timing control. It is a tan/black or tan/white wire I can't remember off the top of my head, with a single terminal weather pack connector that you are supposed to disconnect to set the initial timing. It should come out of the dizzy harness.

Would thst be the wire that plugs into the ICM?

I'll have to check and make sure the wire is not cut or anything, I know it's plugged in only because I just took it out and put it back in, may be caused by the timing being off though, still a possibility, I will be checking it out this weekend and will keep it posted

Back